Chinese (Mandarin) Language Placement Advisory Test
Chinese (Mandarin) Language Placement Advisory Test
Advisory Placement Testing in Chinese - A City College of San Francisco (CCSF) Program
The program is under the Credit by Examination Law, and the following requirements apply (see the CCSF catalog).
1. The student has completed 12 units at CCSF by the end of the current semester.
2. The student has a G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher at the end of the current semester.
3. The student does not already have 12 units through Credit by Examination.
- The Chinese Placement Test (CPT) was created by the faculty of the Chinese Program in the Foreign Languages Department at the City College of San Francisco to be used internally only. The CPT focuses on the reading aspect of Chinese language competency. Listening, speaking, and writing are not included.
- The CPT can only be used by the Chinese Program to assess students’ Chinese language proficiency level so that they may be placed in the appropriate language classes in our program at the CCSF.
- Without permission, no other CCSF office, faculty, counselor, or staff is allowed to administer or use the CPT for any purposes.
- ONLY THOSE STUDENTS WHO ARE INTERESTED IN TAKING CHINESE LANGUAGE CLASSES AT CCSF SHOULD TAKE THE CPT..
- Students who do not plan to take Chinese language classes at the CCSF should not take the CPT.
- The results of the CPT taken by a student is used as a REFERENCE by the CPT advisor to place the student in the appropriate language class in our program. The test results should not be used for any other purposes.
- During the first two weeks of the new semester, the instructor of the class in which the student is placed may make a joint decision with the CPT advisor to advise the student to take another class that can better meet the needs of the student.
- The score of the CPT is used for advisory purposes ONLY. The CCSF Chinese Language Program does NOT issue any certification of Chinese language competency/proficiency based on the score of the CPT.
- Students may NOT use the result of the CPT to fulfill any high school, college, or university course requirements.
- Students may NOT use the result of the CPT for the purpose of transferring to another college or university.
- Students may NOT use the result of the CPT for the purpose of fulfilling job requirements.
- Students who took a CPT and completed the Chinese language class assigned with a grade of A or B may receive extra units. For example, if a student is placed in Chinese 3 and successfully completes the class with a grade of A or B, the student may be awarded with units for both Chinese 2 (5 units) and Chinese 3 (5 units). However, the extra units are not awarded automatically. The student must be recommended by the instructor who may take the following points into consideration: the student’s class performance, class participation, class attendance, completion of assignments on time, demonstration of motivation to improve. The extra units (e.g. Chinese 2), are NOT given in letter grade. Only units of credit can be given.
- At this time, the CPT is used to place students in the following classes: Chinese 1, 1A, 1B, 2, 2A. 2B, 3, 3A, 3B, 4, 4A, 4B.
Students who would like to know the results of CPT for the purpose of registering in a Chinese language class must e-mail Dr. LIU Hsin-yun at firstname.lastname@example.org. No other method of communication is allowed.
To take the CPT, each student must:
1. Present a photo ID.
2. Use a #2 pencil to mark the test answer sheet.
3. Hand in the answer sheet (scantron) along with the test paper unmarked after completing the test back to the person who hands you the test.
4. Not share the test or take the test out of the testing room for any reason.
The test location and date are as follows:
Location: R-403 (Language Center, Rosenberg Library, Ocean Campus)
Dates: Thursday, December 11, 2014 @ 1:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Please be advised that, if you plan to transfer to a UC campus, and have gone to a school in China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong through ninth grade at which the language of instruction is Mandarin, City College Chinese language courses will NOT be given credit by the University of California system. Please ask your counselor if you have further questions.
(Reference: Advising Students with International Records @ http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/downloadable-guides/) (2010)
"Language Credit in the Native Language
Applicants whose native language is not English, and who have completed at least nine years of education in that language, will NOT receive lower-division language credit for college or university courses in that language taken in the United States (including AP or IB Higher Level exam credit.)"
Calibrating the Chinese Placement Test:
With your instructor, follow these instructions:
- GO to the internet site of the placement test from any Internet connected computer - you can take the test in the CCSF Language Center (Rosenberg Library, R-403) if you like. It should not take more than 30 minutes.
- Click here to go straight to the WebCAPE portal (will open in a new window).
- Enter the Password: california1
- Choose "Chinese" from the drop down menus.
- Choose Begin.
- Enter your information - You will need your CCSF ID.
- Click Submit Information.
- Follow the directions to take the test. After taking the placement test, you will AUTOMATICALLY receive an email with your result.
- SAVE YOUR RESULTS.
- E-mail the results to your instructor.