faq-generic 2 colB
faq-generic 2 colB
DISTANCE LEARNING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I apply for admission to CCSF as a new student?
- How do I enroll in an online course?
- Can I still add a class after open registration?
- Why do I need an email address?
- When will I receive my login, password, and instructions for my course?
- Who do I contact if I am having problems?
- Can I get a CCSF email account?
- Will I earn the same credit toward my degree or certificate in an online course as I would in a traditional course?
- How much does an online course cost?
- Can I register for a course online?
- Where do I get help about general college questions?
- Can I buy my books online?
- Are courses taught by CCSF faculty or by someone else?
- What if I tried to enroll in an online course and I was told the course was closed?
- What are the minimum system requirements for taking online courses?
- What’s the equivalent total classroom lecture hours for online courses for employer reimbursement for work related training?
Access other CCSF Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I apply for admission to CCSF as a new student?
If you are a new student (not enrolled last semester), follow these steps for enrollment. If you are a continuing student, use the normal procedures for class enrollment.
IMPORTANT: After you enroll in the class, you may be required to send an email informing your instructor of your enrollment. Get your instructor's email address by clicking on your course and also determine if there are other requirements or important information. Send the email using the email account you will use for your course.
2. How do I enroll in an online course?
Go to: How to Enroll in an Online Course.
3. Can I still add a class after open registration?
To add an online course during the add/drop period, you MUST have an ADD NUMBER. To request an ADD NUMBER, send an email to the instructor.
If the instructor has scheduled an orientation, you may pick up the ADD form at that time (if needed) and also request an ADD NUMBER at that meeting if there is room in the class. With the ADD NUMBER, you can add the course by following the instructions on the "Changing Your Classes" page.
If you have problems during this process, call the Online Office at (415) 239-3885.
4. Why do I need an email address?
Your Insight login, password and instructions will be sent to you there. Therefore, it is important that before registering for a course the "Preferred" email address in WebStars be updated.
5. When will I receive my login, password, and instructions for my course?
Prior to the start of the course, your Insight login and password and instructions will be sent to your "Preferred" email address entered in WebStars.
6. Who do I contact if I am having problems?
If you are having problems accessing your course, read the Insight Login/Password instructions. If you are still having login trouble you can either call the Helpdesk (415) 452-5689 or email the Insight administrator at email@example.com. Please note - both of these resources are only staffed during business days/hours. However, you can retrieve your own password.
For other issues refer to the Student Support Resources listed under the Main Menu on the Insight home page.
For questions specific to the course, contact the instructor directly by the instructor's preferred/stated method (email or phone).
7. Can I get a CCSF email account?
CCSF is preparing to give Google mail accounts to all students. Currently, if you do not have an email account, you might take advantage of free email services at sites such as yahoo.com or hotmail.com.
Will I earn the same credit toward my degree or certificate in an online course as I would in a traditional course?
How much does an online course cost?
Go to the the Tuition & Fees section of the Admission & Records department for current fees. Online courses cost the same as regular on campus classes.
Can I register for a course online?
Where do I get help about general college questions?
A good place to start is CCSF's Online Advisor. You might also find many answers to your questions in the CCSF Catalog.
Can I buy my books online?
The college bookstore will take orders and either mail books or hold for pickup. You cannot do this during the add/drop period. You may also want to search for your books online using a service such as AddALL or Amazon.com.
Are online courses taught by CCSF faculty or by someone else?
All the courses are taught by CCSF faculty members who also teach the same course traditionally or via telecourse.
What if I tried to enroll in an online course and I was told the course was closed?
Send an email to the instructor. Sometimes there is room.
What’s the equivalent total classroom lecture hours for online courses for employer reimbursement for work related training?
Equivalent "total classroom lecture hours" is 17.5 times the weekly lecture (contact) hours as stated in the course catalogue. This is the same whether the course is on campus or distant learning.
The ACCT 1 course is a 4-unit course, with 5 lecture hours (Lec-5). Students are charged for 4 units, but required contact (online lectures, quizzes, discussions, etc) is the equivalent of 5 hours/week for 17.5 weeks. Homework is extra. So the total classroom lecture hours for this course is 5 x 17.5 = 87.5.
If you have further questions, please call the Online office at (415) 239-3885.