Drug and Alcohol Studies

What will this program do for me?

The curriculum for the Drug and Alcohol Certificate is designed to prepare individuals for work in the addictions field. The program emphasizes a public health approach that addresses community, social, and individual factors of addiction while providing certificate candidates with a strong background in treatment modalities, health education and prevention, professional and ethical responsibilities, and client advocacy.

What kind of job can I get once I complete the program?
Entry-level drug and alcohol counseling or case managers. Positions may be available in inpatient and outpatient facilities, residential sites, and the correctional facilities.

How much can I earn in this career?
The salary range is from $23,000-$40,000.Please refer to the Occupational Outlook Handbook for more information regarding job outlook and salary scales.

How long will the program take?
This is a 5 semester program. If you would like to learn more about course requirements, please refer to the Program Curriculum.

Where will classes be held?
Classes are currently offered at the Phelan Campus. For specifics on class times and locations or registration dates, please refer to the Schedules for Credit Classes.

Where do I get more information?
Call Tandy Iles (415) 452-5160 or by email at tiles@ccsf.edu, or view the department Web page: Department of Drug and Alcohol Studies.

What time of day are classes offered?
All classes are geared towards working adults. Most classes are offered at night. For specifics on class times and locations or registration dates, please refer to theSchedules for Credit Classes.

When do classes start?
Every Semester. Please refer to the Schedules for Credit Classes for specifics on class times and locations or registration dates.

How do I enroll?
Call the department at (415) 452-5160 for more information. For new students, please fill out a CCSF application. You may also contact the Office of Admissions at (415) 239-3285.

What are the requirements for certification?
You must complete 31 units that are approved by the California Association of Alcohol and Drug Educators (CAADE).

How much money will the training cost?
Please refer to Tuition Information for specifics on costs. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. You may also call the Financial Aid Office at (415) 239-3577.