SLOC Meeting Notes 2015

November 30, 2015

Particpants: Sheri Miraglia, Craig Kleinmen, Janet Carpenter, Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Lillian Marrijo-Duck, Rhea Dellimore, Jeff Lamb

Guests from Shasta College:  Lenore, Jay

  1. We hosted guest SLO Coordinators from Shasta College and tried to help them answer some questions about assessment at CCSF that they were interested in, including use of CurricUNET, the value of rubrics to simplify and make assessment more quantitiative.  We discussed how some PLOs are assessed with a Capstone Course as well as by mapping.  Using CurricUNET to do PSLO reports is very new to CCSF.  We also discussed the challenges in finding time for faculty to discuss SLOs.  At Shasta - they are so small that sometimes there is only one full time instructor in an department.  However at CCSF, we have found that part-time faculty often welcome the opportunity to share and exchange ideas.   We also discussed how rich discussions can happen around assessment ACROSS departments as well.
  2. Shasta college - question on our model for an SLO Committee.  Committee was formed to help the SLO Coordinators do the work of developing assessment programs within the college.  We use the time to vet planning and validation data.  We use the time to revise Institutional Learning Outcomes and then put the potential changes out for all faculty to provide feedback on.
  3. Shasta College - How do you help the college as a commuinty find value in SLO work?  At CCSF the alignment with reaching equity goals has been helpful.  We do our best to tie these to having a student-centered philosophy.  We have found that over time the conversations do change. The access to large sets of disaggregated data is appealing to many faculty as we do try to be more equity and student focused.  Some departments have worked to find ways to make it meaningful - for example English has used this as an opportunity to do some action-research.  By linking outcome data to resources we also hope to make the assessment process meaningful to everyone as we move forward.   We also discussed the idea of bringing back SLO highlights in a "engaging" format with individual stories of how SLO work has improved teaching.
  4. We discussed the current rate of SLO Assesssment. Currently it's EVERY class, at least one SLO, every semester (except summer).  As we move through and past restoration, how do we continue to insure all students are being assessed. We will need to build this into the next Institutional Assessment plan.  We need to ensure that there continues to be data.  A consensus in this group is that we need to continue to gather course level data from every instructor in order to ensure strong program-level data.  Additionally, we need to ensure that every course and program is evaluated every 3 years.
  5. Review validation exercise data (shared group work) - we briefly reviewed the Valdiation data for Spring 2015 that has come in so far.
  6. We discussed continuing with the current SLO commitee meeting time at noon on Mondays, every other week.
  7. This was our last meeting for the Fall 2015 semester.

November 16, 2015

Particpants: Sheri Miraglia, Craig Kleinmen, Janet Carpenter, Mandy Liang, Andrea Noisi, Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Lauren Muller, Mine Ternar

  • Revisit ILO language. We lloked at the first revsions and, with further reflection, we still liked the the new A: Demonstrate an understanding of the history and valuses of diverse cultures.  . Further discusson on  environmental awareness or resposibiity--should they be separate or add an or to the sentence Make responsible civic, social or environmental choices.  Everyone still liked Collaborate effectively in diverse social and cultural settings. Survey is going out. Sheri will make the survey and at next meeting we will look at the results. 
  • ILO Chair We talked about who should Chair the ILO #3 assessment committee and we agreed that Craig was the logical choice.  
  • Liberal Arts and Science major--the assessments of these major. Worked with Deanna. What would you add to the report. How any completed the major. # of students that received it. Any information from Office of Reserach. Can we see where or if these students went somewhere. Should not be a large report. Fold them into the report. Add an appendum to the past reports.  The responsibility to assess the major/program rests with the GE workgroups. The SLo Committee greenlighted this idea
  • Validation data of Spring CRN reports. We created a rubric for validation of the new CRN level reorts. This validation project scores two questions in the reports. Looking at the responses from Q1 and Q2. We had a discussion about how the instructions and how they match up to the rubric.  A "robust" and spiritied discussion on how to train on assessment reporting, which is different from if people from assessment. Are people improving? We agreed to do the validiation and look and see. We talked about putting the rubric in the User Manual. We went through about 5 reports and normed our responses. We talked about providing some feedback on responses that we ddn't find adequate and how it could be corrected. Our due date November. We will meet on November 30th. 
  • Shasta SLo Coordinators will be here and want to talk with us. 
  • March 8th session ideas were discussed. Student panels to begin and then 6 sessions of gaining traction on past recommendations. The recommendationsRequisites, Math (broadly), Six factors that drive student success/affective domain, Counseling and Faculty can we systematically communicate, Non-credit assessment, Culturally responsive teaching,  Varying outcome assessment methods, Supplemental Instruction/bootcamp (basic skills in a cohort) vs. peer mentoring​

November 2, 2015

Participants:  Sheri Miraglia, Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Craig Kleinman, Jeff Lamb, Mandy Liang, Mine Ternar, Janet Carpenter, Andrea Niosi

Location S-350. 12-1:30 pm1.

  • Dwindling SLO Committee Membership - we discussed as a group that we are having troble acquiring and maintaining commitee membership. Some committee members feel that it may be the analysis of disaggregated data that is stimulating the negative vibe.  As a higher degree of scrutiny and accountability are applied, this may be frustrating some faculty.  We suggested asking in general college formats (all college email, EFF) for people to participate, be part of the solution.  
  • Post October 20 information -  there was a lot of variability among the response.  Some responses were very rich and demonstrated interest in trying many new things around course design to close the gap.  Some responses complained about the lack of support from the college.  Health/PE/Social Services had departments that didn't respond to the survey.  Aircraft Maintenance within STEM also didn't respond.  However Health had a lot of interest in increasing cultural comptency in their instructional models.  In STEM there was interest in "Bridge" programs and pulling cohorts togehter.  We quickly reviewed the other schools as well (not all is reported here).  There is awareness that there is a diminishing African American student population at our school.  Where are they going if not CCSF?  Kristina and Pam are working on an Executive Summary that pulls together college-wide themes for the day.
  • ILO Outcome Revisions - There were over 250 people who filled out the SWOT.  Pam and Craig are working with that data. There are suggestions to revise the wording for ILO#3.  
    • confusion around B and C sub elements of ILO3
    • no issues with A
    • requests for a stronger environmental influence
    • avoid the word "demonstrate"
      • A.  Demonstrate an understanding of history and values of other people and cultures.
        • replace "demonstrate" with "compare and contrast"?  
        • replace "other" with "diverse" 
      • A (new) Demonstrate an understanding of the history and values of diverse cultures.
      • B. Demonstrate and understading of civic, social and environmental responsibility
      • C. Demonstrate civic, social, and environmental responsibility.
        • Do we need both?????  Can we get rid of B?  
      • New "C" - Make responsible civic, social and environmental choices.
      • D.  Collaborate effectively in diverse social, cultural, and global settings.
        • this was well liked, maybe no improvement here?
        • remove the word "global"?
      • New "D" - D.  Collaborate effectively in diverse social and cultural settings.
    • we will revisit these potential revisions in our next meeting and finalize for a survey to go out to the college by the end of the semester.  We are still considering ideas around "C".  Consider breaking up social/civic and environmental responsibility.
  • SLO report Validations - We will each take on 40 to evaluate.  We'll get the spreadsheet out in two weeks and discuss as a group before we begin working on validation.
  • Brainstorm for March 8th SLO FLEX day - The SLO team shared preliminary ideas for the March 8 FLEX day with the SLO Committee to get some early feedback.

October 5, 2015

Participants:  Sheri Miraglia, Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Craig Kleinman, Jeff Lamb, Mandy Liang, Anna Davies, Mine Ternar

Location S-350. 12-1:30 pm

  • Update Academic Senate SLO Committee Description (to meet Accreditation Standards) - we agreed that we remain primarily and advisory committee.  We discussed revising how the committee supports student learning, as well as the description of purpose and goals.   We looked carefully at the new 2014 Accreditation standards to determine which standards the committee contributes to.
  • Campus Wide Assessment Tool for ILO#3 - the committee reviewed the SWOT analysis tool that was created for FLEX day and agreed on changes to improve the instrument and make it easier and more fun to use. 
  • Department Survey using Data Cubes - we reviewed the instructions that are being given to department chairs for Oct 20.  They are being asked to complete a survey in advance of the Oct 20 meeting looking at the achievement gap for the lowest two student groups in their highest enrolled courses.  They are also being asked to compare achievement over the past three years to the performance of underrepresented minorities in the same courses on SLO's.  There is only one semesters worth of data in ARGOS at this point, but chairs are being asked to look for outcome difficulties or areas of concern.
  • Additional planning for FLEX on Oct 20 including identification of faculty co-facilitators for Dean's meeting. - The VCAA would like the school sessions where survey results are discussed to be co-facilitated by a faculty memeber.  We discussed working to identify the right faculty co-facilitators.  Additionally, we reviewed the instructions for the school meeting to clarify some of the language in the instructions.
  • Update on Validation project - (deferred)

September 21, 2015

Participants:  Sheri Miraglia, Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Craig Kleinman, Mandy Liang, Jeff Lamb, Andrea Niosi, Anna Davies, Mine Ternar

Location S-350. 12-1:30 pm

  • Review Oct 20 Proposals and Discuss FLEX
    • October 20th FLEX Planning:  We reviewed the proposals that have come in and also discussed a potential invited speaker to lead an additional session.  SLO Committee members would facilitate these sessions, which will occur between 10-11:30 pm.  Right now we have 7 proposals, which is probably sufficient.   The first half of the day will focus on ILO#3.  We discussed creating a SWOT analysis for each workshop so that we have the conversation documented and analyzed. We may work on it in the meeting.....but we could also do what we did on Sept 17, which was send out an electronic survey at the end of the day.
    • We reviewed the proposals and discussed the alignment to the subelements of ILO#3.  We also discussed having faciliators as note-takers so that we have resources for people who were not able to attend individual sessions.  We also discussed providing the session leaders with a format to follow so that much of the time is spent in discussion and sharing knowledge with each other.  
      Some FLEX time may be used to help train coordinators to work with the disaggregated data. This is based on some of the feedback Kristina recieved when working to train Deans and Chairs on how to use disaggregated data.  Some of what the day will be about is getting traction with the disaggregated data.  A form will be provided to chairs that will be filled out on our before Oct 20 as a "deliverable" for the school meeting.  This will help departments focus their department meetings so that useful data is collected for the school meeting.
    • New ILO:  Use technology....passed Academic Senate on Wed and will go to Biparte.
    • Academic Senate has agreed to create a Math GE outcome.
    • We reviewed the rubric for validating S15 SLO reports, did some refinement and discussed providing it to the college community to assist with F15 reporting.

August 24, 2015

Participants:  Sheri Miraglia, Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Craig Kleinman, Mandy Liang, Elizabeth Stewart, Lauren Muller, Jeff Lamb, Andrea Niosi, Anna Davies

August 24 -- 12-1:30 pm -- Location: Science 45

  • The Committee reviewed Spring and Summer assessment reports
    • DRAFT: Spring 2015 Process Summary - Feedback is still being solicited.  This is an evaluation of the process from Spring - ensuring that facts are correct.  There may be some additional effort needed for student services.  We need to move this forward - Katryn needs feedback.  Please send her edits!
    • Once this moves to the final version - it will be sent forward through participatory governance with recommendations.  One recommnedation (requirment) is that the college comes up with a plan to support faculty on the weekends and holidays.  People doing that support will need admin rights to Curricunet.  We have had people submit when they return from holiday.  However there was feedback that having it at the same time grades are due creates habits of mind that are useful.  Should we consider having emergency resources?  Can this be a paid position?  24 hour help desk cannot provide training on how to use software.  It would be GREAT if we could get some support from IT, as they are paid for this kind of thing.  We discussed a short term and long term fix for this support problem.  We will continue to vet out a plan for this. 
    • Fall changes/plans - 
    • Fall validation - Question came up as to whether to do validation at the course level, or program level.   We discussed an analysis of two of the Curricunet fields - 10% of courses - Curricunet Coordinators will work to develop a plan, rubric and method for norming the application of the rubric.
  • SLO related Action items for Accreditation - we went through the list of these action items and all seem  to be complete or on track for completion. We went though the list, including the final mapping of IGETC and CSU outcomes to our outcomes.  Another topic was the review of course syllabi to ensure that they list SLO's - Deans will be reviewing those campus wide after an initial review from the Chairs.
  • GE Area Workgroup Updates (Spring 2015)
    • GE Mapping - Important dates for assessment for the college - a window is there in which we are hoping that everyone comes by a drop in help lab to establish mappings between course SLO's and program mapping.  Program coordinators will be working with Katryn to learn how to do that mapping. GE mapping will be happening in GE workgroups.  As mappings are confirmed in CurricUNET, the mapping will be refined and improved over time.   The group talked about coming up with a systematic way to encourage program coordinators to complete this work in an efficient fashion.  Jeff and Anna agreed to discuss how they might facilitate coming up with a systematic method for encouraging program coordinators to complete this work.
  • October 20th FLEX - Kristina distributed the draft agenda for this professional development day that will be focused again on SLO's.  The plan is for about 10 workshops that really support development.  The sessions will focus on Cultural, Social and Environmental Awareness.  Departments would be encouraged to review data by being asked to produce a deliverable from the department meeting.

Next meeting:  Sept 21, 2015

May 20, 2015

Participants:  Kristina Whalen, Sheri Miraglia, Elizabeth Stewart, Katryn Weiss, Janet Carpenter, Mine Ternar, Jeff Lamb, Lauren Muller, Andrea Niosi, Craig Kleinman

1.  Fall 2015 Professional Development - How do we productively use August 14?  After the morning program, people head to their department meetings.  It has been suggested that some of this time could be spent looking at equity data as a unit.  The proposal suggested that one course and one type of equity analysis would be reviewed in the department meeting.  A worksheet might be provided to help guide discussion and data analysis.  The feedback from department chairs was that they liked the idea of working with this data, but were protective of this time to meet with their faculty.  It was suggested that we consider moving the equity/SLO analysis to the October flex day.  The committee discussed concerns wtih having disaggreated SLO data vetted in time for the August 14 meeting.  Other suggestions for the August 14 meeting inlcuded looking the feedback that was given for Program Reveiw and give the department opportunities to discuss.  Other suggested included evaluating the process of providing disaggregated data, and setting up course level improvements and program level SLO's.  Another suggestion was to pick a course related to social/global awareness since that will be the ILO that the college addresses in the fall.  There was consensus in the room that the disaggregated data project should move to the October flex day.  In the fall, planning, program review feedback, etc. would be better uses of August 14.

2. We need to get the correct SLO's in the syllabi.  Could this be a discussion that is also had on the Aug 14 flex day?

3.  Professional Development workshops for fall - the team reviewed the upcoming fall 2015 workshops (list can be found on the Professional Development webpage). Other suggestions were to how to assess large numbers of students in ways other than surveys, and workshops that explain the link between GEO's and the CSU and IGETC transfer pathways.  The commitee agrees with the proposed content within the current list of workshops for fall.

4.  SLO Coordination Team for 2015 - Adds were put out for SLO coordinators, but few applications were recieved.  In the fall, three individuals will share the primary position, and this group will cover the CTE position as well.  The three individuals will be Craig, Kristina, and Sheri.  As of this morning, we have a new student services coordinator (Many Liang).  Katryn will continue as the Curricunet Coordinator.

5. Tech ILO language proposal - "Use technology in pursuit of intellectual growth and career development".  Falls under #4 - Personal and Career Development.

6.  SLO Impx Report - Sheri has provided a template within the document for how the highlights can be reported.  One challenge is that the scoring that the commitee (consisting of department chairs and program committee members) provided, in many cases, doesn't seem to match what can actually be cut and pasted out of the program review.  There is some concerns about making the scoring data public.  The scoring methodology was not necessarily clean.  Kristina suggested that we complete our share of the report by the time grades are due.


Next meeting - Fall 2015


May 8, 2015

Participants:  Kristina Whalen, Sheri Miraglia, Elizabeth Stewart, Katryn Weiss, Janet Carpenter,  Isabelle Motamedi, Mine Ternar

  1. SLO Impact Report:  Every Q4 in Program review for the college was scored with a rubric provided by the SLO Coordinator.   Q4 related to how SLO data is used to drive departmental resource requests and decision making.   The goal is to address concerns by the visiting team that the program reviews were uneven.  Do we like the format of going by college?  What do we want to include in each section?  We agreed to divide up the scoring and identification of highlights to create the SLO impact report and share the work to create the analysis and report among members of the committees.  
  2. CSU-IGETC Patterns:  The committee reviewed the remaining GE CSU/IGETC Outcomes.  We compared the language in our current GE area outcomes to see if they sufficiently cover the CSU/IGETC areas.  We reviewed language for IGETC Area 4a and CSU D, as well as CSU E and IGETC 6, and debated the best language to use in the SLO's.  We also reviewed language for CSU: US History, Constitutions and American Ideals.
  3. Final ILO Report: The final ILO report is in draft form and the committee walked through the report together.  We discussed the proposed language "Demonstrate the use of technology or tools for productivity and problem solving".   It was discussed adding "learning" to the phrase, as well as eliminating the word "demonstrate" and substitue the word "use".  We also discussed elminating the word "and" and substituting "or".   It might be more appropriate to break this particular ILO into two separate ILO's.
  4. The committee agreed to review the recommendations for the ILO report and provide feedback to Kristina.

April 24, 2015

Participants:  Kristina Whalen, Sheri Miraglia, Elizabeth Stewart, Katryn Weiss, Janet Carpenter, Andrea Niosi, Isabelle Motamedi, Lauren Muller

  1. ILO FLEX Day--update - The committee reviewed the agenda for the 10/20 FLEX day.  The goal is to demonstrate that we are having college wide discussions on learning, as well as assess our cultural, social and environmental awareness.  This SLO day accomplishes these important goals.  The proposed agenda follows the same general format as prior  SLO FLEX days.   The committee discussed adding "global" awareness to the sessions, or including global awareness within the currently proposed sessions.  We also discussed how the various areas "spill over" - it's not possible to completely separate cultural and environmental awareness (for example).
  2. SLO Impact Report--collaboration w/Academic Senate PR Com:  The program review committee is suggesting an intervention to encourage higher quality answers for Q2 and Q4. They would like to rank answers by applying a rubric, which is being asked to be provided by SLO Coordinator.  The committee is not clear that there is continued value in grading answer quality and we discussed that we don't feel that this is valuable.  The SLO Committee discussed instead taking the SLO Impact report and taking next steps, which is to take the data and begin focusing on common themes and how to use this data to make improvements, which is the goal of SLO's.  This is the kind of analysis that is required for Accreditation.
  3. CurricUNET continues to be rollled out.  The goal this semester is to get as much CRN level data submitted as possible.  The software will make Program and Course de-briefs easier later on, but for now the goal is data collection.  There have been questions about reporting from student services.  While the reporting deadlines are now more flexible, we still need to meet 3 year benchmarks and have enough data to support program review.  It's particularly important that areas where deficiencies have been identified are reporting, and demostrating improvement.  In particular, these groups need to assess the right things and show that appropriate changes are being made based on the data.  The language that we communicate timelines with is not going to be the same for every group.  Some CTE groups have one year benchmarks, while other programs have 3 year benchmarks. 
  4. Program Review Rubric - Kristina shared a draft rubric with the committee and solicited feedback.  She will share it with the program review committee.
  5. Update/Feedback on GE D/H outcome refinement - Feedback on proposed changes was shared with the committee including new language and some consolidation of GEO's.  No major concerns were noted by the committee.  
  6. Leading from the Middle Projects - Applications were submitted last Wednesday and a couple of them were based on SLO's, including a non-credit SLO toolkit and how to improve non-credit certificate completion.  Another one was E-portfolio's (culinary dept) and getting widespread particiaption in E-portfolio's as a way to assess.  Committee members were encouraged reach out to these groups if they are interested in participating.
  7. COM ILO Report - Our numbers are very good for our communications ILO competency.  There won't be a lot of recommendations as a result.  The only problem that will be solved by CurricUNET that is not resolved in this report was lack of reporting by non-credit.  This is something that should be resolved as CurricUNET is rolled out.  An additional note - we don't have an ILO relating specifically to use of physical tools (like computers, tools equipment).  We had a preliminary discussion about creating an ILO around this - it seems like something that is missing.  Discussions ensued over how to appropriately include language that would appropriately cover the various ways that people use "tools" and "technology".

April 9, 2015

Present: Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Jeff Lamb

1. Oct 20th SLO FLEX day. The group discussed that we have challenges with the upcoming ILO assessment in the Fall. Also, on October 20th, the fall calendar has a FLEX Day listed for SLOs. Kristina proposed that we use the day to have college wide-spread dialogue about the Cultural, Soical, and Enviornmental Awareness ILO. The goal of the day would to "assess as a college how well collaboratively we contribute to teaching ILO #3. A schedule for the dsay was shared that had BOT and executive leadership sharing how their projects contributed to this goal. The SLO Team would review ILO activities for the day. This would take place from 9:00-10:30. From 11-12:30 concurrent Sessions would be held around the these driving questions:

1. How do the environmental conditions in SF, CA, and the World impact our students?

2. How do the economic conditions in SF, CA, and the World impact our students?

3. How do the cultural conditions (or realities) in SF, CA, and the World impact our students?

After lunch we discussed two ideas:

  • GIFTs. GIFTs is a collaborative “share out” strategy of best practices in the classroom. Faculty will be solicited to share a classroom policy or practice (with broad adaptability) that connects  to the ILO of Cultural, Social, and Environmental awareness. The presenter is seated at the table with handouts. Presenters names and titles are projected. Faculty take a seat at a table and hear a 7-8 minute explanation of the classroom practice. A buzzer sounds and people move to the next table. If a table’s seats are filled, participants take a seat elsewhere and hear from that person. At the end of an hour and half a teacher would leave with about 8-9 Great ideas for Teaching! Further, connects and dialogue are promoted.
  •  A Share Fair that is similiar to above but it more like poster sessions that are stationed down hallways or throughout campus. 

2. ILO in Fall 

Programs may not be mapped in the fall or would need to be mapped in order to complete the ILO. Group discussed the need to work with NC programs to map certificates because ILOs needs to include NC.

3. SLO Impact Report--discussion of report and possible allocation of homework.

The Academic Senate Program Review Committee would like to collaborate on the SLO Impact Report. The ORP office is comiling question 4 responses now. Instead of pulling out passsages, the project this year is to develop a rubric to evlauate responses to question 4 to share out at DCC, Academic Senate and Planning. This would help mentor programs that need growth in connecting assesment to data and assessment activities to detailed  improvements and resource requests. 

4. ILO mapping report out and ILO Report outline

The results form the fall 2014 Communication ILO were shared. ut of the 5,713 studentsassessed from "Communicate Effectively", 73% of student met outcome. Of the 2,644 assessed for "Demonstarte Respectful Interpersonal and Intercultural Communication" 74% met the outcomes. 2,492 students were assessed for ability to "Recognize and interpret Creative Expression" and 73% met the outcome. We discussed the leangth of the report and categories. Because the outcome results are so positive, very few recommendations will be included.

Only 300 students in non Credit were in the assessment.  

5. CSU/IGETC GE Outcome analysis

New Outocme for Oral communication (CSU A1) were discussed and refined.

New critical thinking outcomes for CSU a3 and IGETC 1B were discissed and refined. 

Outcomes for Art (separate from Humanities) were proposed, discussed and refined. 

Kristina is awaiting feedback from faculty in Art, Critical Thinking. Speech and Philosophy have already approved the new outcomes. 

7. Leading from the Middle Projects?

We breifly discussed but did not have time to flesh out ideas. 

Next Meetings:

April 24 in C 257. 

March 20, 2015

Participants:  Kristina Whalen, Sheri Miraglia, Elizabeth Stewart, Katryn Weiss, Janet Carpenter, Andrea Niosi, Isabelle Motamedi, Mine Ternar

  1. Our resolution to have math removed from GE Area A was accepted by the Academic Senate.
  2. We reviewed the GE IGETC/CSU Outcomes Matrix:  When we try to align IGETC, CSU and local outcomes we have some gaps.  Both CSU and IGETC make the distinction between written and oral communication.  Should our communication outcomes make this distinction?  For example, should Area A cover oral communication and Area B cover written communication? One option would be to follow the lead of some other community college and use the CSU/IGETC as our local outcomes.  That would simplifiy the process considerably and allow us to meet the accreditation requirements.  Right now we are trying to map to three different patterns, and it's incredibly complex.  The commitee spent considerable time reviewing the possibilities for successful alignment.    The holes include communication (discussed above), we don't have any outcome that deals with effective citizenry (accred. standard), ethical reasoning,  and the other hole is that our area G (health and phys ed) does not cover things like lifelong learning (accred. standard and is present in the other patterns). Katrina will have some discussions with college faculty leaders to see if eliminating the local patterns is something that would be considered.
  3. Results from PD Needs Survey/Most popular SLO related questions:  Proposed Workshops for Thursday, April 16th. 
    1. SLO & Assessment
      1. Effectively Using Different Types of Assessments – 66%
      2. Classroom Assessment Techniques to Improve Student outcomes – 54%
      3. How to Interpret Results and Work toward Improvement – 52%
      4. How to Leverage Technology to Assess Student Outcomes – 50%
  4. Delineate committee tasks for the accreditation timeline
    • At CCSF, all faculty are required to put SLO's in their syllabus.  Some faculty do not have SLO's or current SLO's.  We need ideas for getting our syllabi into compliance.  The committee discussed ways that we might achieve compliance.  Emails could be sent out, but many people don't read their email. People need to be accountable.   There are some faculty who refuse, and it may take a message from the VCAA sending a notice explaining that this is a job requirement.  The committee spend time brainstorming ideas for how to become compliant in this area.  An idea that the committee liked was instituting an awareness campaign.
    • Clear outcomes need to be listed and assessments in place for every CSU and IGETC (discussed earlier).
    • We need ethical reasoning in one of our GE areas.
    • Outcomes for Math - this is being resolved.

March 6, 2015

Participants:  Kristina Whalen, Sheri Miraglia, Jeffrey Lamb, Elizabeth Stewart, Katryn Weiss, Janet Carpenter, Isabelle Motamedi


  • Policy on recording and keeping SLO evidence.  We need to craft policies on how to do this.  How do we keep the evidence if it's handed back to the student?  What do we need to keep?   It was discussed that the policy would be similar to grades.  Being able to provide examples or rubrics would be useful, but saving all student work does not seem practical or useful.  Keeping minutes of all our discussions is important.  Department webpages are a good place to do this.  Dept. webpages are supposed to be updated every semester.  Minutes could also be posted from the Dept Chair/Dean joint meetings as well.  It's important that the discussion record program assessments and improvements, not just SLO process.
  • Discussion on assessing courses like LERN 1000/Lab courses - there are 16,000 students that enroll in these non-credit courses to access learning centers and tutoring.  There needs to be a way (google form) to assess outcomes for these courses.  We also need to understand the course(s) better and the expectations for the course(s).   The decision was made to get more clarification on what the outcomes for these courses are in order to advise on an appropriate assessment methodology.
  • Accreditation Institute report out - People from across the state to discuss accreditation.  There was discussion about the future of the ACCJC. WASC and the ACCJC are unusual in that sr and jr colleges are split into two accreditors.  Bachelor's degrees are now allowed to be granted by community colleges.  There will be some significant changes regarding accreditation as a result of this.  On the SLO front, compared to other community colleges, CCSF has made tremendous progress.  We should feel good about what we've done, even as we work to make more progress quickly.  The only software that currently disaggregates data is eLumen and a lot of people are reporting that they hate it.  So we will continue to move forward with CurricuNet.
  • Moving removal of Math from GE Area A and discussion of new science outcomes for CSU/IGETC - The SLO committee discussed putting a resolution forward to the Academic sentate to move math out of GE Area A.  Faculty would then develop oucomes related to quantitative reasoning related to this area.  A committee subgroup is also working on creating outcomes that map to CSU/IGETC for sciences, especially pertaining to the laboratory requirement that relates specifically to transfer to CSU and UC.  A meeting was held with members of each science department, and we brainstormed what we felt were outcomes for different labs in different departments.  CCSF's local area C does not require a lab, and this subgroup felt strongly that it should.
  • GE Outcomes action items for Accreditation Steering Committee - we will need 4 sets of institutional outcomes (ILO's and GEO's).  As courses move through curriculum committee the outcomes will need to map appropriately to institutional outcomes to make it through committee.  SLO's first go through tech review and then every SLO (currently) goes through Katryn.  As the accreditation steering committee meets, outcomes will be on the agenda.  The timeline for putting the refined institutional outcomes is important.  We need to demonstrate that we've acquired instutional feedback on these revised outcomes.  The academic senate needs the opportunity to provide feedback to the experts who put the outcomes together.
  • review of Fall 2014 reporting summary - we will be taking a look at these results and completing the ILO report.  This will be the last time we use the Google Form.  We don't yet know what the CurricuNET reports will look like yet though.  The committee reviewed the outcomes assessment data for F14.  We discussed how the new disaggregated data reporting requirements will hold individual faculty accountable to do the SLO work. 
  • We need a non-credit representative on the SLO committee as well as a member from the Academic Senate.  In general, we need faculty to step up and serve - especially those who are getting reassigned time for doing SLO work.  There are people who get reassigned time for SLO work who do not attend these meetings.   The committee feels it would be very useful for them to attend.  The committee was asked to please review the Fall data and the examples that were used in the report and communicate feedback to Kristina.

February 6, 2015

Participants:  Kristina Whalen, Sheri Miraglia, Jeffrey Lamb, Elizabeth Stewart, Katryn Weiss, Janet Carpenter, Josh O'Neil, Isabelle Motamedi

  • GE Area E and A Implementation Matrix - greatest area of concern is how quantitative reasoning will appear in GE Area A.   Can we split the communication and quantitative reasoning outcomes so that there is no ambiguity in the assessment of these outcomes. Citizenship and Ethical reasoning are the other two areas noted by the visiting team that needed addressing.  Some revising of the GEO's might be helpful  The GEO's came from Title V language.  Looking at CSU GEO patterns, the math/quantitative reasoning outcomes go toether with sciences.  The committee discussed recommending moving math to GE Area C.  This would require a GE Area C2.  
  • Committe discussed bringing outcomes language back to the group next time that would address quantitative reasoing.  Because the visiting team has just given us feedback and because we are working to address the new standards, this is a good time to make adjustments.  GEO's AND ILO's are both required although not all colleges seem to have both.   The committee discussed the utility of having GEO's closely linked to graduation requirements and working with the Office of Instruction on the language.
  • Conclusion - we are looking to find a dedicated "place" for Quantitative Reasoning.
  • Academic Senate directive - college wide initiatitve to begin collecting diaggregated data THIS semester so that we have a substantial amount of data collected when we write the next self study.  The committee discussed how the new rules can be successfully communicated.  The new rules will require that every faculty member is accountable to the new standards.  There are some challenges with people feeling like the SLO target continues to move.  
  • The committee looked at the new reporting structure that allows individual instructors to submit disaggregated data.  Confidentiality is maintained for individual students. 
  • The software will be ready by the end of the semester.  Everyone needs to gather disaggregated data to enter into the new system.  Course coordinators will still be responsible for a deep read of the data.  Instructors will still be meeting and working with course and program coordinators to develop assessments, discuss data and improve assessments and instructional tools.
  • Every CRN must be assessed every semester.
  • Katryn is developing training material for the new system.
  • Two committee members will be attending the Accreditation Institute in February - major topics will be unpacking the new standards.
  • Committee members are encouraged to review the Miami Date Cultural Social Awareness ILO assessment instrument for next meeting.
  • SLO coordinator positions.  Katryn and Kristina are attempting to step away from the coordinator positions.  They are actively working to recruit new people to serve in this capacity.  There will be multiple coordinators (Student Services, Credit Courses, Non-Credit SLO coordinator, CTE Coordinator, Curricunet Coordinator).

January 23, 2015

Participants: Kristina Whalen, Sheri Miraglia, Tracy Burt, Andrea Niosi, Janet Carpenter, Isabelle Motamedi, Rhea Dellimore, Mark Kitchel, Katryn Weise
  • Moving GE Area A & E recommendations forward:  The visiting team report noted that we don't have a GE outcme that uses the words Quantitative Reasoning.  The SLO committee discussed ways to move our recommenations forward. Where is the right place for quantitative reasoning within the GE outcomes?  Area A is communication and analytical reasoning (which would work).  There may be a bigger project to address the visiting team report, and how the college assesses ethical reasoning to align with CSU and IGETC?  If there are "holes" in how we map our outcomes to CSU and IGETC, we need to be sure to fill those.  We did not meet the standard in that area.  The committee agrees that we have a mapping project to complete to meet this standard. Kristina will take this to the Academic Senate, and it will need to be addressed by the next bipartate comittee. In the new standards, every program in the college will be required to have an outcome related to ethical responsibility.  For Area E, sampling could be impacted by randomly assigning courses to provide data (mandate?).  Some colleges are creating a standard assessment and requiring all faculty within a GE area to use and report on the same assessment.  It was discussed how this might make the data more valid and make it more meaningful when disaggregated.  The committee continued discussing outreach and coordination for using assessment reporting to address the achievement gap.
  • Professional development needs survey - the committee reviewed the text of the upcoming survey and discussed the professional development needs around assessment and reporting.  
  • Non Credit Program Reporting - the college does not issue certificates for non-credit, and this is causing frustration for students completing these non credit programs.
  • Last push for COM ILO Results - Committee members were asked to remind members of their departments to encourage faculty complete ILO data and get it submitted.    A suggestion was made for SLO announcements to be shorter, but come out more frequently.
  • Roll out of CurricUNET and reporting changes (please carefully read attached document that details new reporting instructions being proposed).  Training will be provided to faculty on the use of Curricunet as part of professional development.  Information needs to get out to the college so people know what is required with respect to new standards, and how to use Curricunet to make that happen.  We will be following new proposed procedures, and making changes due to how the software works.  Katryn is actively soliciting comments on the document describing the new reporting instructions.  We will be using the Curricunet software, a common rubric, and disaggregating data per the new Accreditation requirements.  Rather than hard deadlines, reporting will have to occur regularly.  However, people do respond better to specific deadlines.  One idea is to set the deadline in the middle of the semester.  This allows instructors to submit data for the past semester in the middle of the next semester.  We are going to try for the first hard deadline to be mid-fall semester, for the SLO data collected Spring Semesster '15.  Curricunet training will begin as soon as the software is live.  It is hopeful that by the end of February that we may be able to start rolling the software out.



Previous Notes