SLOC Meeting Notes

April 23, 2014

Wednesday -- Science 45 -- 2:30-4 pm

Participants: Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Tracy Burt, Lorelei Leung, Janet Carpenter, Mine Ternar, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Isabelle Motamedi, Sheri Miraglia

  • SLO FLEX ideas – revisit – Mickey Branca now completely in charge. Contact has been made to do something SLO related at the all-campus August FLEX day. David Marshall – San Bernadino College Department Chair – does workshops across the country -- could come work with us for $2500 (all day). Works with us ahead of time to review what we’re going through. Can have him work with Deans/Faculty Leaders – etc. – in advance. Share positive stories/examples from around the college. Have it be an all-SLO day – only those workshops can take place. School meeting. Assigned readings in advance for leaders or for everyone, so folks can fully engage in discussions. Chancellor Speaks in morning, then everyone goes to Department Meetings. Suggestion: Whole School Chancellor meeting – then concurrent sessions – then School Meetings – then Department meetings. Or.. like Culinary Arts – do department meetings on independent flex and leave regular flex for all-school event. Include a workshop on teachers teaching each other. College needs a professional development coordinator.
  • ILO data review – revisit – Reviewed the initial data broken out by school, and it was decided to switch to providing those data by program and also to review comments for review/inclusion in final report.
  • Per previous meeting: follow up on recommendation to modify Student evaluation of teaching by adding element about whether faculty have communicated the SLOs for the course  -- demonstrates college culture – integrated more into evaluation of faculty. Kristina will take it further. (Also supports the GE Area C recommendations on finding ways to ensure that all students who take the class regardless of instructor cover the same SLOs.)
  • Academic Senate passed the revised ILO#1 language. Updated on the website.
  • Self Study – comments reviewed.
  • Get It Done Day – TLC computer lab reserved.
  • GE Area C recommendations – update on days’ meeting between Katryn and the workgroup (Steve Brown, Fred Teti, Dana Labreque, Lisa Romano

April 9, 2014

Wednesday -- Science 45 -- 2:30-4 pm

Participants: Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Janet Carpenter, Andrea Niosi, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Isabelle Motamedi, Sheri Miraglia, Lorelei Leung, Megan Sweeney, Mine Ternar, Lillian Marrujo-Duck

  • ILO data review -- revisit -- what did we learn by reviewing the spreadsheet? -- haven't made much progress. Workgroup hasn't had time to meet (because of Spring Break). Question: what do we want to do with these data? Conversation with Learning Community Committee. They've rank ordered classes based on pass rate. Can we look at classes that submitted data -- submit research request for pass rates for Fall 2014. Could help us say if scores have been pulled down by particular groups. For example: general education areas versus not -- credit vs noncredit -- prerequisites vs not. Problem: programs submit data, not courses. Can't match to course data. So what do we want to do with this assessment? After our new SLO software is up, we can do a better job of identifying data down to the course level, and thus our ultimate goals for ILO assessment will be different than what we can do this time around with ILO #1 critical thinking assessment. So what outcomes would we want? Conversations college wide about how PSLOs should map to ILOs, and movement forward on improving that; conversations about critical thinking in general and how the college addresses it in classes. Improvement of our ILOs. Analysis of % of mapping currently existing, by school/program. Analysis of scores per school/program (variations from average). Another outcome: what's the best way to assess ILOs. In our future assessments, how do we want to approach this assessment level? Combine ILOs and GEOs? How do we get onto the FLEX agenda? How do we bring in the ILOs? How do we get our leadership to get behind and support the college-wide conversation? Primary goal: use this report as a professional development tool to better refine program-level mappings. VERY IMPORTANT: Send recommendation to Curriculum Committee to ensure that as program proposals come through the committee, these mappings are reviewed by many to ensure good mapping.
  • SLO Impact Report -- discussion and call for edits -- Now complete. Will be sent to committee by end of day today for final review by all of us. For example, looking at highlights and shorter sampling -- ask yourself: is this really the best that can come back from a particular department? Especially AUOs -- seems that administrators are NOT doing a quality review and mostly copying and pasting exactly the same thing from the year before. Needed: training, especially for administrative units, especially in regards to progression of improvements. New organization chart -- thus each unit is moved into separate units. Useful! Only continuity document we have  so far created on differences from one semester to another.
  • Debrief on Institutional Set Standards -- Assessment Planning Team met to discuss proposal to Academic Senate on starter standards for first time, first standards. Academic Senate reviewed those and endorsed them and sent them onward to the Administration. No idea what went into the Annual Report. (As Academic Senate just provided "recommendations," administration can choose whatever they want.) Academic Senate didn't contest the numbers, but wished there had been greater conversations college wide about the data, and what do the number mean. Need to put a timeline in the Assessment Plan for how to discuss these data in the future, so doesn't happen at the last minute.
  • Upcoming Northern California SLO Group meeting -- Pacheco advertisement. Interested parties? Lorelei, Andrea, Kristina, and Anna-Lisa planning to go.
  • ACCJC regional workshop--opportunity for information gathering -- Ohlone College -- Academic Senate is sending Wendy Kaufmyn. Kristina Whalen will be going with Gohar.
  • SLO FLEX ideas -- Advertising SLO activities for April independent flex day. How to get people there? Need motivation for them. How will attending make their lives better? Save them time? People will come to computer labs and work through reporting -- especially with future CurricuNET technology. (Fall 2014) Come and we'll help you finish your report. Can we make folks excited and motivated about SLO future? Showcase and hear case studies of what's happening in various departments in regards to SLOs. Celebration of good things going on. The student perspective! Panel of students. Sharing good ideas from across the college. CCSF showcase!
  • Recommendation: student evaluations of instructors should contain language about how well an instructor has conveyed the outcomes of a given course and helps to meet them.

March 19, 2014

Wednesday -- Science 45 -- 2:30-4 pm

Participants: Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Janet Carpenter, Lorelei Leung, Megan Sweeney, Mine Ternar, Andrea Niosi, Sheri Miraglia, Anna-Lisa Helmy

  • ILO data review -- trees were shaken for loose fruit meant for the ILO #1 assessment. Only one more should be coming. Not here yet. Bottom line: what we have is what we'll get. So let's move forward on how we'll analyze the data and what new data we might want to gather to inform our final report, which should reaffirm the process and how we gathered data, as well how we've come to a proposal on refinement of outcomes. Next steps: 3 get together to look at data closely and come up with some analysis and interpretation that we bring to the group. Meanwhile, all data will go to all group members for their general input. (Katryn will send.)
  • CurricuNET update -- won't be ready until Fall 2014 -- will need to have the "old-time" forms available to capture data over Summer and Fall. Will we keep reporting a twice-a-year requirement? Will have to wait until implementation is complete to see what we can do. Ultimately want folks to update their information and enter assessment results AS they are available and not focussed on particular dates. But... for now, we are keeping to the twice a year requirement to keep folks focussed and keep momentum.
  • Proposal: Have Assessment Planning Team come up with starter Institutional Standards -- Benchmarks for Student Achievement. Supposed to happen this way: proposed by faculty -- reviewed by Academic Senate -- then put forward to Board, who decides the benchmarks. After implemented, discussion college wide about how we are or are not meeting them. Some colleges look over 5 years -- some 10 years. What's the benchmark? The average? Or average + 3% boost? Or lowest year? Also need to document this process -- "THIS is how we set our benchmarks. THIS is how we assess our process." Maybe the assessment planning team document is the place to document this process.
  • ILO C wording -- Librarians talked about the outcomes we discussed in our SLO Committee group, and no one liked them. Had some concerns about the use of the word "ethical" and how it could be interpreted. Had concerns about mappings that didn't seem to fit the current detailed ILO wording. Basically every course will/should map to this ILO -- as long as students gather data from multiple sources, like a textbook, website information, and experts or peers with special experiences -- whether technology was used or not -- evaluate and synthesize that data and then use it in some form (like preparing for an exam or a class assignment).
    • Proposal: Locate, evaluate, synthesize, and appropriately use multiple forms of information.
    • As this likely occurs in all classes, this will result in addition of new PSLOs and course SLOs related to information competency across the college in all courses and programs. It won't be required, but it will likely happen.
    • Ultimately this makes the two newly proposed ILO #1 bullets overlap a lot and likely any outcomes that link to one will link to the other as well. Perhaps that's appropriate for a higher-level ILO devoted to critical thinking and information competency.
  • SLO Impacts Report homework -- debrief
    • Members of the SLO Committee got frustrated reading the answers, because they felt there weren't enough details and descriptions "informing" their program improvements.
    • Likely because we're so new to this process, so many of the improvements were related to course and program description improvements, improved outcomes, addition of new courses and deletion of old ones. But no SLO data supporting it.
    • Strategies for how to make the question better, so we get better answers. Proposal: give Kristina's assessment description FOR the answers TO the planning team.
    • Can we have an assessment day over Summer or on Independent FLEX day? No more official FLEX days.
  • Responses to ACCJC SLO report -- Read existing wording to specific questions. Edits send to Kristina.

 

March 5, 2014

Wednesday -- Science 45 -- 2:30-4 pm

Participants: Kristina Whalen, Katryn Wiese, Janet Carpenter, Sheri Miraglia, Andrea Niosi, Isabelle Motamedi, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Lorelei Leung, Jeffrey Lamb, Lauren Muller

  • Pam Mery is looking for volunteers to work on/review the SOARS survey -- content analysis -- next Tuesday -- maybe 400+ instances.
  • ILO data review -- do we wait until June deadline to process all these data? Or do we use what we have now? Is there an issue with our annual report to the ACCJC where one is preferred? It seems that folks have missed the deadline because they "didn't know it was there." Plan: make a list of program coordinators who promised to do it, didn't map correctly, and didn't submit their data and contact them. Create a new form just for them? When we reviewed the basic data, we reminded ourselves that the data are suspect because the assessment types are different for each program, and the assessment standards are different or interpreted differently. What % of data comes from ESL, noncredit? What do SLOs mean for students who take a class multiple times? This conversation should be happening across the college. If students aren't meeting an ILO, what does this say about the ILO itself, about our programs, about our students? Since at least 20% of the mappings are suspect, what does that do to our data? Should we remove those? Are the reporting instructions clear enough? What more data do we want from the research office? Definitely want to get rid of the data that doesn't really map. Recommendations of final report should include the programs whose mappings weren't valid and indicate that we recommend that they reword their Program SLOs to include one that will map to ILO C, for example, because clearly their courses do, but their program SLOs don't.
  • ILO C wording (read report from Library sent via email) -- In general, the mappings on this ILO are poor across the college, as not many courses actually map specifically to information competency. Proposals for rewording:
    • Recognize when information is needed; effectively locate and evaluate credible and relevant information using appropriate research strategies and tools; and ethically use that information.
    • Use appropriate research strategies and tools to effectively locate and evaluate credible and relevant information and ethically use that information. (Strategies and tools limits the potential application of this outcome... removing it makes it more likely to be broadly applicable.)
    • Biggest learning lesson: program outcomes need to be reworded, so that if this information IS taught in courses in a program, a program outcomes EXISTS that can legitimately align to this outcome and convey to students what they'll be learning.
  • Assignment SLO Impact Report homework -- Important report that has potential to inform changes across the college. Needs review by committee members. Everybody gets about 9 answers to question #4. Reduce it to an abbreviated highlight -- what outcome, linking evidence and data to it, alignment with the college -- a single passage or line. Last year's report should be reviewed first. Goal is to have a snippet from each department. Instructions coming through email.
  • Any Feedback to Standards dealing with SLO to be forwarded during public feedback of new standards -- handed out last time. Get any comments to Kristina by early next week, so she can pass them along.
  • Discussion on professional development during April 25th Independent FLEX DAY. Because it's independent, not a lot of people will show up. Limited time and resources make this unlikely. Better for us to add in a last-minute event where appropriate IF, say, CurricuNET is live or nearly live?

 

February 12, 2014

Wednesday -- Science 45 -- 2:30-4 pm

Participants: Kristina Whalen, Tracy Burt, Isabelle Motemedi, Lillian Marujo-Duck, Mine Terner, Lorelei Leung, Janet Carpenter, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Andrea Noisi

ILO wording Refinement

Committee revisted the wording from the last SLO committee. After much refelction the group reached consensus that we didn't want the assumption of diverse viewpoints to go unstated. But we did reach consensus that the inclusion of the word quantitative was captured sufficiently in the more general wording. We also favored the wording "reasoning" over "thinking". The group came to consensus that the SLO committee would move forward the following wording to the Academic Senate in place of ILO #1 prong 1 & 2:

"apply critical and creative reasoning, including diverse perspectives, to address complex problems"

The committee applauded!

Andrea Noisi shared that the librarians had a very producive discussion on the ILO wording during their professional development day. She noted that the emphasis in Information Competency is moving away from locating and retrieving and more toward analysis of data. They also felt that the inclusion of tech and tools in current wording was inviting errant mappings. Some wording considered:

"locate evaluate, organize, and ethically use information to meet a need..."

"indentify, evaluate, and synthesize. . . "

"use reliable, relevant and appropriate information..."

"recognize when information is needed and effectively locate, evalaute, and use information"

We agreed to think on these wording choices and come back to the process next meeting.

Accreditation Institute Report Out

Andrea, Kristina, and Lillian shared what they learned at the institute jointly sponsored by the ACCJC and Statewide Academic Senate. This included a discussion of institutional set standards, the increased emphasis on the use of disaggregated data, and the fact that the complexity and word count of the changes were no different from current standards.

GE AREA C

Kristina noted that she was contacted by academic senate. They are forming a workgroup to explore recommendations in the GE Area C Report and prioritize the recommendations. They want a member of the SLO Com on the work group. No one volunteered but Kristina said she would talk to Sheri or perhaps members of the Area C workgroup.

GE AREA A and E

Course coordinators from all AREA A courses offered this semester have been contacted. Area E has yet to send email.

 

January 29, 2014

Wednesday -- Science 45 -- 3-4:30 pm

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Mine Ternar, Lillian Marrujo-Duck, Sheri Miraglia, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Isabelle Motamedi, Megan Sweeney, Janet Carpenter, Lorelei Leung, Tracy Burt

  • Review of Fall 2013 Assessment Progress Reporting Process -- specifically a review of the summary report. Discussion and comments:
    • Needed improvements -- do we transition to yearly reports? How will the new software affect this? New processes now that folks can enter data all the time. Without deadlines people tend not to do the work, as the data clearly shows (number of entries the day before the deadline). If CurricuNET will solve this with automatic reminders and reports of units/classes that haven't reported in after a particular amount of time, we still might need check-ins annually or biannually to ensure folks don't forget. Meanwhile, program review work in the Fall needs to be better pulled together with SLOs and other assessment issues. Can we combine that deadline with the department dialogue needed about all assessment?
      • Concern: dropping a deadline (moving to annual) means it will be harder to coordinate multiple colleagues to move forward...
      • Can we change one of the deadlines though -- Fall deadline to be a requirement that folks summarize their data and have department conversations that inform resource requests that will happen through program review.
      • Need to ensure CurricuNET will automate the nagging process for folks who havent' checked in for 6 months or haven't checked in according to their schedule.
      • Make system sustainable. Pick your schedule, then keep to it.
      • Must keep some kind of consequence to missing deadlines and not following through with plans, or folks will drop the ball.
    • Rate of completion dropped, due to new deadlines, hard deadlines? Unfortunately, more so on the AUO/SSO side of the house. Why? Administration reorg caused some balls to drop...
      • Student Services Leadership Team met with SLO Coordinator to discuss the poor completion rates. Team members for the SSO Assessment Team will be forwarded to the SLO Coordinator for continued collaboration.
      • Report needs to be stronger about what MUST happen... versus "needs to happen"
      • Future emails need to ensure that all folks across the college remember the messages and requirements apply to everyone.
      • Future staff training in service and admin units should all contain AUO/SSO reporting sessions/debriefs/training/updates...
      • Sigh.. disappointment that folks need so much pushing to follow through..
    • Send further comments through email to Kristina.
  • Refinement on ILO#1 rewording
    • Review of work done in December
    • Suggestions/discussion:
      • Based on our review of existing mappings, it's clear that folks across the college are broadly applying statements even when they don't seem to apply ("and" becomes "or"). Do we want to accept that
      • Suggest: "apply critical and creative thinking to address quantitative and/or complex problems."
      • Suggest: "apply critical and creative reasoning to address quantitative and/or complex problems."
      • Diverse perspectives -- Include it specifically? Or included already? Would be nice to merge the two. Would the proposed wording above mean we wouldn't need two?
  • GE Area C Summary Report -- Next steps
    • Academic Senate Executive Council review happened. Engagement happened. People were fired up about making the recommendations happen. But it also awakened a lot of cross-talk about advisories and prerequisites and what we want for the College culture. Lots of follow-up conversation. There are some colleges that have mandated advisories and/or prerequisites across the board for all credit classes. Why not here? Conversations are happening, even if we haven't come to agreement.
      • Advisories will help students take responsibility for their own skill development -- give them what they need to decide whether to take a class or even prepare for one.
      • Next steps: Action to the floor of the Academic Senate -- others plan to take it to the floor... Advisories + Improved Counselor/Instructor conversation
      • Next steps: Report is on the planning committee agenda. Chantilly Apollon will present.
  • GE Areas A & E workgroup meetings update
    • Area A has met twice already this semester -- email to course coordinators going out this week
    • Area E has met once this semester and they're almost ready to send email to coordinators and is really ready and active in work to modify the existing SLOs.
  • CurricuNET implemenation update -- Spring implementation is for Curriculum followed by SLOs and Program Review -- latter two ready in Fall.
  • Other: February 6th FLEX day 1:45-2:45 pm for departments to work on SLOs
  • Spring meeting schedule -- Confirmation --
    • Possible meeting times. Who drops out if pull back 30 minutes to 2:30 pm?
    • Next meeting on Wednesday, February 12th at 2:30 pm
    • Room in S45

   

December 16, 2013

Monday, December 16 -- Science 9 -- 2-3:30 pm

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Janet Carpenter, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Lorelei Leung, Mine Ternar, Andrea Niosi,  Isabelle Motamedi

  • Compilation and review of senate survey -- finalized for submission.
  • GE Area C Summary Report -- review of failure and withdrawal rates and the relationship between all general education area courses and the prerequisites that aren't explicitly stated but represent the minimum qualifications for graduating high school. Concerns -- how to have this conversation happen across the college at all levels including our administrative leadership. Imagine if the institution decided to make advisories to all General Education classes of these high-school levels. We also discussed the evidence and call to improve the equity gap through increased standards and ensuring students are prepared when they enter classes and thus successful when they exit these classes. Spring focus: have this conversation happen!
    • Recommendation: Andrea Niosi will create a short abstract review of potential impacts of the report. We'll put it in the January Highlights and get the message out through email. Key is why everyone should read this report and its application to all General Education areas.
    • Recommendation: Meet with Chancellor and Vice Chancellors. He should be taking leadership on this as well.
  • Software update: funding secured. Board resolution on Thursday expected to go forward.
  • Refinement on ILO#1 rewording -- review of worksheet
    • Locate, retrieve, and evaluate information using appropriate research strategies, tools and technology -- Information Competency wording is undergoing discussion by library, and the IC Committee in the Library will take on that role. 
    • Use reason and creativity to make decisions and solve problems -- 
      • Options: Develop analytical skills to apply to problem solving
      • Options: Use reason and creativity to reach valid conclusions -- (or supported conclusions or testable conclusions)
      • Need some kind of data incorporation...
      • Do we need to have anything other than just "Use reason and creativity"? Why include another step.
      • Options: Use
      • Options: real-life application? Is that exclusive?
      • Creativity + reason together.
      • Next time: have all ILOs in front of us (so we don't duplicate)
      • CSUEB: think critically and creatively and apply analytical and quantitative reasoning to address complex challenges and everyday problems.
    • Apply diverse viewpoints to aid in decision making or problem solving --
      • Join with above.
      • Option: critically evaluate diverse arguments, frameworks and informational sources, perspectives, data...
      • Apply diverse prespectives (or keep viewpoints) to interpret data (or phenomena?)
      • Benefit of keeping it separate is that we have the diversity perspective and it's not covered elsewhere...
      • Merge option based on CSUEB: think critically and creatively to evaluate diverse perspectives and apply analytical and quantitative reasoning to address complex challenges and everyday problems.
      • Too long!!! Two? Think critically and creatively to evaluate diverse perspectives. Apply analytical and quantitative reasoning to address complex challenges and everyday problems.
      • Other comparisons:
        • apply knowledge of diversity and multicultural competencies to promote equity and social justice in our communities
        • work collaboratively and respectfully as members and leaders of diverse teams and communities;
        • communicate ideas, perspectives, and values clearly and persuasively while listening openly to others;
    • Recommendation: add section to SLO Handbook about mapping well -- how to (Kristina)
  • Spring meeting schedule -- suggestion for moving in Spring to Wednesdays (works for all but Isabelle). Suggestion Wednesdays 3 pm. Room to be determined... (Maybe 2:30)
  • ILO #1 Mapping Summary Report
    • Good format. Need to break into separate documents for each ILO.
    • Valuable document to have available online.
    • Searchable, but will ultimately be replaced by new software.
  • Congratulations to Kathleen Mitchell on her retirement. And THANK YOU for all her contributions to cultural change at CCSF.

  

December 2, 2013

Monday, December 2 -- Science 9 -- 2-3:30 pm

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Janet Carpenter, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Lorelei Leung, Mine Ternar, Andrea Niosi, Tracy Burt

  • ILO #1 Workgroup/Refining ILO wording -- Discussion occurred on mapping results -- there were many mappings that seemed incorrect -- a lot of them. Part of that is folks misunderstanding the ILO. Part is folks trying to force a mapping when none existed. We discussed that over time, these mappings will improve as folks revise their own PSLOs and better understand the process. We reviewed a few options for revising the two non-Informational Competency ILOs related to Critical Thinking, and came up with the following suggestions:
    • Add a fourth dealing with quantitative reasoning or ensure it's part of the other three. (Will problem solving be sufficient?)
    • Apply or use for.... reason & creativity to... analyze or make... decisions and solve problems"
    • Diverse viewpoints change to "Critically evaluate diverse arguments, frameworks and informational sources, perspectives, data.... something like that..
    • Locate, retrieve.... keep as is
  • Review: New preamble approved by Academic Senate Executive Council -- will be part of next catalog and is also a part of the website now.
  • GE Areas A and E -- update -- Area A met the Friday prior to Thanksgiving break. Area E meets this coming Friday. Results online: Area A workgroup | Area E workgroup
  • GE Area C -- update -- report should be officially published this week.
  • Senate Survey -- results from our homework review were given to Kristina for collation.
  • New software review -- update -- CurricuNET is our recommendation. Will take awhile to implement, and still must find funding, but decision made and confirmed by current Leadership as recommended for multiple college-wide needs: curriculum, program review, and assessment.
  • Last meeting of the current semester in two weeks.

 

November 18, 2013

Monday 2-3:30 pm in Science 9

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Janet Carpenter, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Lorelei Leung, Isabelle Motamedi

  • New software review (update) -- CurricuNET webinar Wednesday mornings (members invited to attend). RFP being written up right now. Costs, pros, and cons shared for existing options. Recommendations ready to put forward.
    • CurricuNET handles curriculum issues that is are a key problem at the college right now. Can it also handle our SLOs sufficiently?
    • Which can be implemented in Spring?
  • GE Areas A and E -- update -- Area A has a good robust group and is ready to go with the first meeting set up for this semester (this coming Friday). Area C needs more individuals, but has a good start. Area C folks have been invited to come share their experience.
    • These area workgroups are missing folks from particular departments who courses are significant in these areas. Examples missing from Area E: Foreign Language, Art, Music, Theatre ArtsLGBT (and more).
    • Note: GE Area E is the only area in which NOT all GEOs are required to be mapped to course SLOs. Not clear to us why there is an exception. How does this ensure all students who get a GE degree achieve all outcomes (per our language). Ask Office of Instruction.
    • Other issue that came up: why are course outlines still using MLOs (instead of Course SLOs)? It's confusing. Can we recommend a change? Especially as new software is implemented?
    • Will meet in Spring based on group member meeting times.
    • Discussion of ACCJC phone call re: ILOs/GEOs and our progress. New insights uncovered, and needs to be addressed. The speed of moving through ILOs and GEOs can be slowed down. We ARE meeting assessment needs. However, the ILOs and GEO "deep-level" assessments are the kind of reporting and college-wide discussion we are lacking. (Currently we do not look at learning across units....) So while we should stick with our current schedule of deep-level assessments, we should change the focus to the college-wide discussion, and the work groups will be working longer but more sustainably and slowly. 1.5-year process. Example: ILO#1 is encouraged to be assessed in Fall 2013. Data are analyzed and discussed by programs in Spring 2014 (some might be able to do that in Fall 2013 as well, but most will wait and do in Spring 2014). Then data will entered into Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 progress reports. In Fall 2014, it will be reviewed by the ILO#1 work group and discussed across the college. So it's a 1.5 year process. Review and refinement of actual outcomes would be part of this process as well.
  • ILO #1 Workgroup: mappings report progress
    • It's clear that ILO language could use clarification (would improve mapping). For example: is problem solving and decision making part of two subpoints to ILO#1? Are they both necessary? Do those who are mapping understand a) how to map and b) what the ILO really means?
    • We should come with suggested rewordings for ILO#1 to next meeting (based on our experience with reviewing the mappings).
  • Professional Development -- our recommendations
    • SLOs -- many folks sign up to do these, but a) few people show up and b) we don't want to water down our SLO sessions, and we do want to ensure they all support current processes and focal points -- How do we handle this?
    • FLEX days -- fewer sessions that are invited -- no more than 10 people
    • Department meetings should start at 11 am or Noon -- with nothing else getting in the way after that, so departments can work together
  • General Liberal Arts majors (a few others as well) -- no one is in charge, so not being assessed. Problem? Not once we have new software. We'll map it, and then it will be under assessment. Periodically we can set up workgroups to review.

  

November 4th, 2013

Monday 2-3:30 pm in Science 9

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Janet Carpenter, Megan Sweeney, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Karen Saginor, Mine Ternar

  • GE Areas A and E -- update -- Workgroups forming now -- websites are up. Emails sent out. Volunteers are limited to date: Area A (Fred Teti, Ophelia Clark, Charles Metzler, someone from Speech Communication) -- Area E (Kathleen Mitchell, Stephan Johnson.) Plan for now: pick a date and time -- set up the first meeting and readvertise to the college -- when and where. At that meeting, both A and E will meet together, receive training, and then move out to make one remaining meeting this meeting and set up future meetings for Spring. Meanwhile, we'll identify leaders for each group to direct this efforts.
  • SLO Implementation feedback report from the ACCJC -- will be clarification on one point on Wednesday during phone meeting with Krista Johns, and then we'll post it online -- specifically highlighting the two areas where we rated low in March and where we've come from there -- reporting and ILOs.
  • ILO #1 Workgroup: mappings report progress -- 12 of us looked at the mapping of 216 programs. 44% of mappings were clear and coherent. 13% were unclear or mistaken. 16% undermapped. 8% said they didn't map to the ILO, and we agreed. 19% they said it didn't map, and we disagreed. (See formal notes on review process.)
    • Need long-term assessment training -- rewrite PSLOs to map nicely to ILOS. Then rewrite CSLOs to map PSLOs.
    • Need to revise ILO #1 wording -- combine part 1 and 2.
    • Reword preamble -- not all courses/programs have to map to ALL ILOs.
  • Annual Plan update (Discussion at EC re: 3-year recommended benchmark -- further discussion continued about the need to ensure folks work consistently towards a common goal and that those that exceed or meet the benchmark greatly excees the number who don't.
  • New software review (update on need and the three vendors and the request for funds).
  • Exit 15 minutes early to meet eLumen.

   

October 21st, 2013

Monday 2-3:30 pm in Science 9

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Janet Carpenter, Kathleen Mitchell, Isabelle Motamedi, Tracy Burt

  • Report v. 3.0 -- Reviewed current word version and provided input. Ready now to build.
  • GE Areas A and E -- Reviewed email for chairs (to send Tuesday) and faculty (to send Wednesday). Will send out this week.
  • ILO #1 Workgroup: mappings report -- reviewed review rubric and made assignments.
  • Brown bag lunch events -- updated on success/attendance and reviewed next steps

   

October 7th, 2013

Monday, October 7th, 2-3:30 pm in Science 9

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Janet Carpenter, Kathleen Mitchell, Lorelei Leung, Pam Mery, Mine Ternar, Lauren Muller, Frederick Moore, Tracy Burt

  • CHEA SLO award application revisited -- Because our college is not advanced enough institutionally to be competitive in all required evaluation components/goals of the award, we chose to focus on a particular program -- and DMI/Radiologic Services is our main candidate.
  • Review of drafts of these reports:
    • Aug. 31 Reports Summary -- discussed issues uncovered during quality review and overall satisfaction with current status and this particular report. Ready to send onward to Academic Senate Executive Council and Planning Committee.
    • Aug. 31 Reporting Process Evaluation -- additional suggestions added, especially for recommendations for next section. Ready to send onward to Academic Senate Executive Council and Planning Committee.
    • Annual Assessment Plan 2013-2014 -- additional suggestions added. Ready to send onward to Academic Senate Executive Council and Planning Committee.
  • TracDat review & Reporting Forms 3.0 -- discussed comments from folks who attended TracDat webinar. Reviewed that new reporting forms (v. 3.0) will be available for review by end of month.

   

September 23, 2013

Monday, September 23, 2-3:30 pm in Science 9

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Mine Ternar, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Janet Carpenter, Kathleen Mitchell, Lorelei Leung, Lauren Muller, Tracy Burt

  • Proposed maximum cycles for assessing courses and instructional programs -- various numbers used at colleges through the state -- general consensus was on proposing 3-year maximum.
  • 9/17 FLEX review -- Initial stats provided. ~450 evaluations submitted. Overall satisfaction rating: 8 (median value). Highest scores for Schools/Division meetings, then Concurrent Sessions, then Opening Session. Full report will come by end of week. Full report will summarize overall comments PLUS list of all ideas for leadership (minus names). Will also include the four reasons why non-anonymous surveys were used. Next FLEX events will NOT be led/organized by SLO Coordinators.
  • Review of ongoing GE-Area C results: GE-Area C Outcome revision made it through the Executive Council of the Academic Senate. Now awaiting Bipartite. Good news: the process worked. This process will be used for all future GE-Area assessments + ILO assessments. So good to know it can work! Still would be good to have a standing member who is also a member of the Executive Council of the Academic Senate -- so they can make regular reports. All GE-Area C comments from 9/17 evaluation are being sent to workgroup for incorporation into report.
  • GE Areas A and E -- These workgroups need to be formed later this semester so rubrics can be developed. (We need to assess every SLO within these areas. Assessments will follow ILO format.)
  • 8/31 report -- Discussed and trained folks on rubric for shared review of random sampling of existing report drafts. Everyone will complete rubric review in 1 week. Katryn will finalize report draft by end of week and incorporate quality review (anonymous review). Plus draft of evaluation and plans for future reporting forms.
  • CHEA SLO award application (discussed merits of applying)
    http://www.chea.org/chea%20award/2013_CHEA_Award.html
    If we apply, the forms we use and the online website (transparency, combination of program review, cultural shift) would be a good topic. But will we have a different set of forms and process by next year? No one has time to sign up to complete the application at the moment. We feel like next year we'll be in a better place.
  • ILO #1 Workgroup -- Kristina will process mappings document for future review and publishing online -- current mapping. Kristina reviewed process with Chairs at DCC meeting. Kristina contacted all program coordinators planning Fall assessments with a review of the process. Instructions and guidelines were posted online with sample rubrics developed by workgroup members. Future tasks: attending school meetings with Q&A, training in brown-bag lunches, development of reporting forms and heads up on what we'll ask for at end-of-semester.
  • Friday brown bag trainings to start shortly. Possible topics: scantrons and surveys (using technology), ILO process, Program Coordination, Course Coordination with multiple instructors at multiple locations, Using rubrics, Noncredit assessment.
  • Future business: Reporting Form 3.0, TracDat, Evaluation Report for 8/31.

  

September 9, 2013

Monday, September 9, 2-3:30 pm in Science 37

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Mine Ternar, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Janet Carpenter, Kathleen Mitchell, Lorelei Leung, Andrea Niosi, Fred Teti, Tracy Burt

  • Revision of 8/31 and 1/31 deadlines -- Proposal is to change the deadline to a maximum of 1 week after grades are due. Everyone agreed this change would be beneficial and should REDUCE work, because it will focus folks on the point of the reports -- reflection about what was done -- NOT addition of new work. The new work that needs to be done should happen the following semester and be reported on the following semester. (instructions)
  • 8/31 reports -- good results. Working better! For the Jan. 31, 2013 reports, 90% of courses and programs completed the reports. (Only 70% by the deadline.) For the August 31, 2013 reports, 95% of courses completed reports and 93% of programs. (94/93% by the deadline!)
  • How do we report on 8/31 results? Randomize entries and then take a random sample for courses and program (say 20%) and then develop a rubric for reading and evaluating each one. We can farm out a certain number of these reports and have folks review and assess using a standard rubric, so we can determine how well we're doing in terms of quality of reports, as well as what great things stand out (program/service improvements), and what weaknesses appear (report misunderstandings, or poor assessment tools, or assessment stage misunderstandings).
    • Volunteers for conducting this review -- 20 reports -- 2 weeks to complete -- simple rubric
    • Note: still planning to change to outside software (to reduce workload on SLO Coordinator).
    • Reports need to be tools for incoming instructors to educate himself/herself on existing work and continue work done in future semesters
  • ILO #1 Workgroup: reporting on mappings and next step
    • Volunteers for conducting this review of mapping
    • Need to create example mappings of various PSLOs to bins: Proficiency, Developing, No Evidence (for letter) -- folks signed up to do this.
    • Issue to address eventually at Executive Council -- 70 programs said they didn't map to ILO #1. However, the current language of the ILOs requires that ALL programs would link to the ILO. So we need to resolve how we will be handling this going forward: Either change the ILO wording (not require every program) OR change the language on the ILO preamble. Currently: "Students who complete their educational goals at CCSF will be able to:" to something like "Students who complete their educational goals at CCSF will be able to achieve some of the following outcomes:"
    • Letter for program coodinators -- need examples at end of week of rubric mappings for a variety of programs.
  • GE Areas A and E -- review plans for forming these workgroups this semester -- tabled until mid October.
  • Review of ongoing GE-Area C results and work efforts -- discussion of recent experience of GE-Area C outcomes revision proposal at Executive Council meeting. Presentation was followed by Q&A. Seems to be a problem with awareness of ongoing SLO efforts. Emails/surveys/websites -- not registering. What to do in future? Final reading/vote next meeting.

  

August 26, 2013

Monday, August 26th, 2-3:30 pm in Science 37

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Andrea Niosi, Mine Ternar, Tracy Burt

  • 9/17 flex discussion -- reviewed format of data and need for volunteers to assist in faciliating overflow rooms (small group and neighbor discussions) and concurrent sessions (keep energy positive and discussion productive)
  • GEO Area C Workgroup -- update on progress from last semester, presented on the GEO Area C Workgroup website.
  • ILO #1 -- plans, timelines, and review of what's happened to date. See ILO #1 assessment web page for details.
    • Homework: provide detailed examples from units across college to provide Program Coordinators and facilitate semester assessment.
    • Invite more people to attend and take part in the ILO #1 work group.
  • 8/31 and 1/31 report deadlines SHOULD be moved to 1 week after grades are due. That was the recommendation of the group. No discussion of what's needed to make that happen. Should be part of next meeting.

Next meeing:  review ILO #1 mapping data and prepare for presentation at 9/17 flex

   

August 13, 2013

Tuesday, August 13th, 4-5 pm in Science 45

Participants: Katryn Wiese, Kristina Whalen, Jeffrey Lamb, Craig Kleinman, Sheri Miraglia, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Mine Ternar, Katryn Wiese, Lorelei Leung, (and ~5 others who didn't sign in)

  • Schedule for meetings this semester --- Mon. 2 – 3:30 biweekly -- location TBA by Katryn
  • ILO assessment planning and tasks as well as continued GEO assessment will be a large part of the AS SLO Committee work this semester.
  • Main goals for the SLO area this semester (aided by the SLO Committee who will continue to educate, train and encourage faculty and departments to reach them):
    • Websites need to be updated as frequently as possible, each semester at the least. Each department needs to ensure it has an identified web master to handle that work (but all department eyes should assist through regular monitoring).
    • No old outlines will remain in use. Ultimately all need to be 6 years old or less. However, the most urgent need is to update those outlines that are from 2004 or earlier and that do not have genuine SLOs in them. Those outlines should be rare, but we have to root them out and remove them by the end of this semester.
    • Close the loop on Program Review with all SLOs embedded.
    • Aug. and Jan. assessments must be done for 100% of courses.
    • Katryn and Kristina have already been working to reach these goals. They are currently identifying missing reports and courses that have out-dated course outlines. Deans will be asked to enforce the requirements in case of faculty not responding to requests for assessment reports.
    • Suggestions from attendees included:
    • have smaller depts. work together and pool their knowledge of report completion and SLO work
    • have depts in compliance mentor other depts who are struggling and behind in the process

Next meeing:  finalize plans for Sept. 17 Flex day about SLOs. and discuss ILO tasks

 

May 8th, 2013

Wednesday 12:30-2 pm in Arts 212

Participants: Andrea Niosi, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Mine Ternar, Katryn Wiese, Lorelei Leung

  • Fall plans and priorities:
    • August 13th FLEX day -- because of busyness of that day, 1 main event, 1 drop-in help lab, and the SLO Committee Meeting
    • September 17 FLEX day -- proposal for college-wide SLO event. Suggested ideal schedule:
      • 9-10:30 am college-wide meeting (gym?) with SLO Coordinators, Committe, and College Leadership (all three VCs + Chancellor) to discuss the progress we've made, the processes we're following, and the timeline we're pursuing for future efforts. Each VC should discuss how SLOs, SAOs, or AUOs are handled and what directions each group is taking. Will include interactive "neighbor" discussions surrounding the differences between SLOs, SAOs, and AUOs, as well as outcomes in general. Focus as well on ILOs/GEOs and upcoming plans.
      • 11 am to 12 pm -- Concurrent SLO-themed sessions (rubrics 1.0, 2.0 | Authentic assessments | Valuable Outcomes | SAOs | AUOs | etc.)
      • 12-1 pm -- Lunch
      • 1-2 pm -- Concurrent SLO-themed sessions
      • 2-5 pm -- Departmental meetings
    • Other professional development? -- need college-wide commitment to this goal. Should be a larger discussion. What are models used elsewhere?
    • September HIGHLIGHTS? -- We identified folks to approach now for that effort.
    • ILO 1 plans -- workgroup will be the main SLO committee and anyone that attends -- goals: create examples for how ILO assessment is happening and rubrics for translating results.
    • GEO Area Planning workgroups for Areas A and E; Analysis and reporting for Area C.
  • Review of the ongoing GEO process and its application in Fall to ILOs (forms seemed workable and translatable to larger college-wide effort)
  • High-level priorities for 2013-2014:
    • new technology (TrackDat?) for reporting SLO activity across the college will be evaluated for future implementation and funding. Target implementation: 2014-2015 year.
    • ensuring outcomes assessment exists in all corners (admin, services, instructional)
  • SLO Coordinator position -- should really be an administrator? Requires significant coordination and collaboration with college administrators and leaders. Goal for 2014-2015?
  • Next meeting scheduled: Aug. 13 (Flex Day) 4 pm in S45

April 24th, 2013

Wednesday April 24th, 12:30-2 pm in Arts 212

Participants: Andrea Niosi, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Tracy Burt, Katryn Wiese

  • Reviewed the Fall 2013 ILO assessment process and preparations -- reviewed the material on the website -- the mapping effort that is part of the Aug. 31 reporting form, the examples provided by committee members of mappings for ILO 1 -- and the underlying value/motivation.
    • Reviewed the results of the GEO workgroup, the translation rubric, and the email notice.
    • To do in Fall: continue to send emails to those conducting program-level assessments to prepare them for end-of-semester translations and collection of data and finalize rubric.
    • Homework: review course assessment form as though you were a GE Area C course and bring feedback to next meeting.
  • Reviewed progress on end-of-semester online forms raffle -- finding donations -- seeking new ones -- and shared docs file to keep track.
  • Reviewed use of CCSFMail as part of the process
  • April 26th negotiations -- special day -- college closed, but we'll have the day for drop-in lab
  • Get out the word out on the SLO Coordinator position.

April 10th, 2013

Wednesday April 10th, 12:30-2 pm in Arts 212

Participants: Andrea Niosi, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Mine Ternar, Tracy Burt, Lorelei Leung, Katryn Wiese

  • Brief review of Visiting Team meeting details -- it went very well in regards to SLOs. Thanks all!
  • April 26th professional development (independent flex day) schedule -- review of topics, schedule, and call for assistance [NOTE: This day has since been canceled.]
  • SLO coordinator position update: new SLO Coord position will report to Pam Mery/RD and Planning; waiting for position processing through HR.
  • Forms v.3.0 -- review of changes:
    • More streamlined
    • Clearer instructions on how to refer to already entered data
    • Fewer questions
    • Editing capabilities (raffle will help with challenge of a new email -- really there for password entry -- but will bring positive value later if folks choose to explore Google Apps)
      • ITS will help us set up accounts for everyone who submitted Jan. 31 forms -- everyone else will need to sign up for an account. 
      • We should email folks right away to warn them of what's happening, so they can prepare and any new coordinators can sign up for google mail accounts
      • We should also explain in above email the various uses/distinctions between new Office 365 and Google Mail.
    • Plan portion significantly reduced
    • GEO review embedded into course assessment
    • ILO prep and mapping for ILO1 embedded into program assessment
    • Just for activities completed in Spring and all Spring classes
    • Courses with similar reports can be combined
    • Report structure will make it easier for chairs to identify progress
    • Raffle for making June deadline already has these prizes:
      • 8 entrance tickets and private behind-the-scenes tour at the Exploratorium
      • Tickets to the Aquarium of the Bay
      • 5 tickets to the California Academy of Sciences
      • Homework: Need help -- especially with museums and entities not science related :)
  • ILO workgroup formation put on hold until end of Fall 2013. ILO 1 assessment work will be completed by SLO Committee using work produced by GEO work group. Best use of time and resources. Homework: put together rubrics for our own departments/content for examples. These will be sent in Fall through email to those who have identified through online forms that they'll be conducting Fall Program SLO assessments.

  

March 13th, 2013

Wednesday March 13th, 12:30-2 pm in Arts 212

Participants: Andrea Niosi, Kathleen Mitchell, Anna-Lisa Helmy, Mine Ternar, Tracy Burt, Katryn Wiese

  • Website HIGHLIGHTS are the place to send folks to encourage them to learn more about what's happening across the college. (Needs an email.)
  • More Professional Development on Preparing for the Accreditation Team Visit scheduled. (See Professional Development website.)
  • Formation of ILO workgroup for Fall 2013 assessment (what is a rubric -- what are our goals -- how to handle embedding into Aug. 31 online reporting forms -- review of what's happening in the GE Area C workgroup and the need for a consistent language and set of generic rubrics)
    • Proposal: 3= Proficient | 2 = Developing | 1 = Awareness | 0 = No evivdence (with the possibility of combining 2 and 1 into one and calling it "Developing")
    • Workgroup develop a list of sample customized rubrics.
    • Instructions: program assessments happen as departments best see fit. Customized rubrics developed by each department. Departments determine cut-off criteria for each level. 
    • Send email asking for volunteers
    • (every program has to map to at least one ILO)
    • ILO wkgrp forming to prepare for Fall 2013 assessment and Spring 2014 evaluation. ILO 2 will be assessed Fall 2014. ILO 3, Fall 2014. ILO 4, Fall 2015.
  • ILOs will map to PSLOs. Every Program should map to at lest one PSLO. These mappings will be collected year by year as each ILO is assessed.
  • Testing of report v.3 (and discussion of using Google Mail) -- Tabled for next meeting

  

February 20, 2013

Attendance:   Anna-Lisa Helmy, ESL; Katryn Wiese, SLO Coordinator; Andrea Niosi, Library; Kathleen Mitchell, Counseling; Mine Ternar, Art; Lorelei Leung, EOPS; Tom Boegel, Administrator

1--Discussed format/content ideas for the Program Review Summary document (part of March 15th SLO Report)

Goals of the summary: 

  • to highlight and show how far reaching our SLO improvements are for accreditation visiting team review
  • to review, summarize, and acknowledge the efforts department chairs have made, not only in the SLO areas, but in putting together their program reviews.
  • to identify training needs where outcomes-assessment work, as described, indicates its needed

The report will be divided as follows:  

  • summary introduction;
  • body with a sentence highlighting each depts.
  • PR work'  conclusion going more in-depth with a sample of strengths from various depts.

2--Discussed variation in depts. reporting of SLO work--- acknowledged it will take time for a "cultural shift" about SLO work to occur at CCSF; emphasized difference in depts. and the way reports could be written up; emhasized need for ongoing professional development in this area across the college

3--Looked briefly at main points of Institutional Assessment Plan--- discussed rotation schedule for GEO and ILO assessments and that instructors need to be aware of GE outcomes for their courses and how they map to ILOs; discussed need to review this document and prepare to discuss more in-depth at next meeting

4--Briefly discussed SLO Coordinator(s) Job Description for next year---members asked to review document more carefully on the website

5--Discussed the importance of being well-prepared for AACJC visit---dept chairs will facilitate this in their depts. Kathleen Mitchell explained how she is going to provide a workshop for counseling and other student services departments.

Homework:  Please review Institutional Assessment Plan and job description for SLO Coordinator before the next meeting on March 13. Send feedback to Katryn Wiese.

 

  

February 13, 2013

Wednesday February 13 from 12:30-2 pm in Arts 212.
Present: Anna-Lisa Helmy, ESL; Katryn Wiese, SLO Coordinator; Andrea Niosi, Library; Kathleen Mitchell, Counseling; Mine Ternar, Art; Lorelei Leung, EOPS

  • Edited and reviewed mission and scope of this committee and elected chairs (cochairs: Anna-Lisa Helmy, ESL; Katryn Wiese, SLO Coordinator)
  • Confirmed plans for General Education Area C Workgroup with Chantilly Apollon taking on chair duties (data) | workgroup details
    • Discussed methods for gathering data on GE requirements for transfer between CCSF and the UC/CSU systems (including working with Deanna Abma -- articulation officer).
  • Reviewed ongoing Professional Development schedule and needs -- discussed ideas for Independent FLEX (suggested sessions on sharing options and examples of survey tools and data gathering methods)
  • Reviewed new Faculty Evaluation SLO criteria: Effectively assesses Student Learning Outcomes as stated in approved departmental documents (e.g. course outlines) and demonstrates the use of data to improve instruction and/or program. Website: Office of Instruction
  • Didn't review current reports in development for March 15th and faculty involvement in gathering evidence. Will cover in next meeting.
  • Homework: Please try to become familiar with the SLO web pages for the next meeting.