As an F-1 international student, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have current immigration documents in your possession. The Office of International Programs (OIP) recommends that you keep a digital (soft) copy of all your documents in case of loss or theft.

Below you will find information on immigration documents held by F-1 students. If you have any questions above and beyond what is presented here, please contact a Designated School Official (DSO) in Cloud Hall 212.


You must keep a valid passport. U.S. immigration regulations state that your passport must be valid for at least six (6) months into the future. For example, if your passport is going to expire on July 1, 2020, you must have a renewed passport before January 1, 2020.

To extend your passport, please contact your nearest consulate or embassy. A list can be found to the right.

Most countries allow you to renew your passport in the U.S. while others require you to return to your home country to process a renewal. You will not be able to re-enter the U.S. without a valid passport.


An F-1 student visa is necessary only to enter the United States. The issue and expiration date listed shows when you can enter the country. This date range has no bearing on how long you can stay as an F-1 student. If it is expired, or if you have changed your visa status while in the United States, you must reapply for a new visa only if you plan to travel abroad and re-enter the U.S. It is not necessary to extend your visa if you are not planning to travel and re-enter the United States.


Your I-94 can be printed out through the CBP Website linked to the right. If you notice any mistakes on your I-94, contact your local CBP Deferred Inspection Office or Port of Entry (POE) or come to C212 to request information on how to correct your I-94.

Note: Some land and seaports are still issuing paper I-94s for certain student groups, depending on location.

Form I-20

It is your responsibility to ensure that your I-20 is valid and up to date. This document allows you to continue studying in the United States until you complete your program (see "program end date" section of your I-20). We encourage all students to become very familiar with their I-20 and note important portions of the document.

If there is anything information on your I-20 that changes (e.g. your name, your major, etc.) you must contact our office immediately. If you need more time to complete your program, you must request a program extension at least 30 days before your I-20 program end date.