F-1 students are required by federal law to be enrolled full-time (12 units), maintain good academic standing, and make satisfactory progress towards program completion. Below you will find a summary of the immigration regulations that you must follow as an international student here at City College of San Francisco. Remember, it is ultimately your responsibility to understand and comply with immigration law. If you do not comply with immigration regulations and enrollment requirements listed below, our office is required by federal law to take action terminate your F-1 student status and Form I-20.

Register for and Successfully Complete a Full Course of Study Each Semester

All F-1 students are required by U.S. regulations to carry and complete a minimum of 12 units each semester. The exception to this rule is the summer semester as this is not a required semester for continuing students. In Summer semesters, students are allowed to enroll in less than 12 units or to take the semester off as a summer break. F-1 students are not allowed to take more than one online/distance education class (or the equivalent of 3 units) per semester towards the “full course of study” minimum requirement of 12 units.

You should register for full-time courses as soon as you are able to do so through the myRAM student portal at the time of your online registration appointment. If you must register for classes after the semester begins, you must register no later than the add deadline for the given semester. Failure to add required units before the deadline may result in immediate termination of your F-1 student status. Exceptions to this requirement can be found on the “Exceptions to Full Course of Study” webpage.

Maintain Good Academic Standing

All F-1 students are required by U.S. regulations to maintain good academic standing. To be considered in good academic standing at CCSF, you should maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher. Failure to maintain the minimum requirement will place you on academic probation. If you are on academic probation, you will no longer be eligible to work on campus, be allowed to seek curricular practical training (CPT) or be eligible to graduate from your program of study. 

Students who find themselves on academic probation should get in contact with the Office of International Programs (OIP) and an Academic Counselor immediately to discuss your academic standing. Students who stay on academic probation for more than two semester are in danger of future termination. We encourage students who are having difficulty during the semester to reach out to counselors or our office as soon as possible.

Maintain Satisfactory Progress towards Program Completion

All F-1 students are expected to make satisfactory progress towards completing their program. Students should strive to complete their program before the end date listed on their Form I-20. Students may find that they require more time to complete their program and may request an extension of their Form I-20. However, program extensions are not guaranteed. You are eligible for a program extension if your Form I-20 has not already expired, you are in currently maintaining status and are in good academic standing, and you have a compelling reason to extend your I-20 such as changing your major or a documented medical reason.

If you are or have been on academic probation, your current GPA is below 2.0, or you have not been completing courses in your major of study, you may be denied a program extension.

Failure to Maintain F-1 Student Status

If you find that you are failing to maintain your status, please contact a DSO in our office immediately.

Learn more about failure to maintain F-1 Student status