GEN 11 Genetics Laboratory (1)
Lab-52.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: Completion/concurrent enrollment in GEN 10
Hands-on investigative laboratory experiments encompassing cellular genetics, classical plant and animal genetics, microbial genetics, molecular genetics, biotechnology, forensics, and natural selection.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Perform common laboratory mathematical operations and apply critical thinking skills in statistical, graphical, and computer data analysis including evaluation of measurement errors to produce meaningful conclusions of genetics and molecular biology experiments.
- Outcome 2: Properly use and care for laboratory equipment and employ laboratory techniques commonly used in genetic and molecular biology research institutions.
- Outcome 3: Demonstrate a basic vocabulary of genetic and molecular biological terms and communicate scientific ideas and theories effectively.
- Outcome 4: Create laboratory reports including observations, data analysis, conclusions, and discussions using standards prescribed by The Institute of Biological Sciences.
- Outcome 5: Appraise the scientific method and the use of control groups and multiple hypotheses in scientific experimentation.
- Outcome 6: Analyze and evaluate current research and technologies in genetics and molecular biology.
- Outcome 7: Perform laboratory exercises that demonstrate skills of critical thinking, working independently, working collaboratively in small groups, following instructions, and using aseptic technique.