FREN 41 Culture and Civilization of France (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
The history, geography, social institutions, literature, art, architecture, and music of France from their beginnings to the First World War.
No knowledge of French required. May not be offered every semester.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe historic events from the Roman occupation through the feudal period to early literature and architecture.
- Outcome 2: Identify Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance architecture; and relate these styles to changes in French society in these periods
- Outcome 3: Describe religious and political currents of the seventeenth century, and relate their importance to the literature, art, music and architecture of the century.
- Outcome 4: Correlate the literature, art, and scientific developments of the early nineteenth century with the Revolution and the first Empire.
- Outcome 5: Describe the central role of nineteenth century France to the France of today, and the expansion of French art, literature and music onto the world stage.