F SC 53 Building Construction for Fire Protection (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Components of building construction that relate to fire safety. Key factors of construction and design of structures when inspecting buildings, preplanning fire operations, and operating at fires. Development and evolution of building and fire codes in relationship to fires in residential, commercial, and industrial occupancies.
Offered Spring semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate an understanding of building construction as it relates to firefighter safety, building codes, fire prevention, code inspection and firefighting strategy and tactics.
- Outcome 2: Classify major types of building construction.
- Outcome 3: Classify occupancy designations of the building code
- Outcome 4: Explain the different loads and stresses that are placed on a building and their interrelationships.
- Outcome 5: Analyze the hazards and tactical considerations associated with the various types of building construction.
- Outcome 6: Identify the indicators of potential structural failure as they relate to firefighter safety.
- Outcome 7: Explain the significance of the changes of technology of building concruction and how the fire service has adapted
- Outcome 8: Identify the relationship between fire resistance and building classifications
- Outcome 9: Explain how buildings are constructed to incorporate structural design features
- Outcome 10: Identify major building systems including; stairs, elevators,vertical shafts, HVAC and electrical equipment
- Outcome 11: Identify how interior finishes along with fire and smoke containment affect fire behavior
- Outcome 12: Classify the types of foundations
- Outcome 13: Explain the combustion properties of wood and the significance of wood structural systems
- Outcome 14: Identify masonry and ordinary construction systems
- Outcome 15: Identify the properties associated with steel frame construction
- Outcome 16: Identify the properties associated with concrete construction
- Outcome 17: Classify the architectural types of roof construction
- Outcome 18: Identify hazards associated with special structures and design features
- Outcome 19: Explain the hazards associated with buildings under construction or being demolished
- Outcome 20: Identify hazards associated with non-fire building collapse