F SC 110 Basic Fire Academy (21)
Lec-232, Lab-412, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: EMT 100
; Pass the City of San Francisco Civil Service H2 Firefighter examination; Pass the Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) and have a current CPAT Certification; Pass the SFFD Medical Examination; Pass the SFFD background investigation process; Other City of San Francisco Civil Service requirements or other San Francisco Fire Department requirements at time of job offer for hiring into the SFFD.
Basic Fire Academy is for entry level Firefighter positions with San Francisco Fire Department. Training meets the standards of the National Fire Protection Association and California State Fire Marshal Office of State Fire Training, and the Firefighter (2013) curriculum. Emphasis is on Firefighter training, Wildland Firefighter training, and Hazardous Materials /Weapons of Mass Destruction training.
Course is scheduled at San Francisco Fire Department training facilities, and is designed for the San Francisco Fire Department according to pre-requisites outlined in this course
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Execute job knowledge and performance germane to the Firefighter profession to fire service communications, fireground operations, rescue operations, preparedness and maintenance of fire service equipment and specialized apparatus
- Outcome 2: Recognize and execute decisions related to wildland fire incidents, including use of personal protective equipment, wildland fire tools and apparatus, wildland fire safety, and fire suppression operations
- Outcome 3: Identify and define hazardous materials and associated risks present in an emergency, mitigate hazardous materials incidents including decontamination of victims and responders, recognize potential Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) during initial response, and assist in scene preservation for law enforcement authorities
- Outcome 4: Complete a California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and SFFD fire apparatus training and driving program.
- Outcome 5: Assess patient status and apply the correct basic life support interventions to patients with a variety of emergency medical and traumatic conditions, in accordance with local and national EMT protocols.