ESLV 3831 ESL for Construction Workers
ADVISE: Completion of ESLN 3400
(Beginning High 4) or equivalent language ability
Intermediate verbal communication skills for jobs in the construction trades. Terminology of tools, supplies, materials, tasks, and safety. Instructors and/or coordinators from vocational and apprenticeship programs (such as Carpentry, Electrical, Sheet Metal) may serve as guest speakers.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Recognize basic orders, requests, and directions on the job.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate ability to read, pronounce, calculate and record units of measurement
- Outcome 3: Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with supervisors and co-workers
- Outcome 4: Identify general safety warnings and signs
- Outcome 5: Identify basic workers' rights on the job.
- Outcome 6: Develop a plan to enter apprenticeship programs in the construction trades