ESLV 3830 ESL for Health Workers
ADVISE: Completion of ESLN 3600
(Intermediate Low 6)
Designed for health care workers and others interested in the health field. Focus on language skills necessary to function in a medical environment. Study of basic medical terms and pronunciation. Social and cultural skills necessary for successful verbal interaction in health care surroundings.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate basic knowledge of health care settings, terminology and staff
- Outcome 2: Identify major body systems and their basic functions, diseases and disorders, and treatments
- Outcome 3: Use appropriate language to communicate effectively with workers in a medical setting, including use of ""small talk"" and idioms
- Outcome 4: Use appropriate language and demonstrate suitable cultural behavior for interacting with patients
- Outcome 5: Identify an awareness of cultural and gender diversity in a medical environment.