ESL 85 Advanced Editing and Grammar Review (3)
Credit, Non-Degree Applicable
Support for non-native speakers of English; advanced grammar for high level texts and composition; editing/proofreading skills to improve quality and accuracy of written college work. Intended for non-native speakers of English taking ESL 160
, ENGL 93
, or ENGL 96
who require additional instruction in advanced grammar and writing skills.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate comprehension and production of noun phrases and clauses.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate comprehension and production of the English verb system in various forms of discourse.
- Outcome 3: Demonstrate comprehension and production of conditional sentences to predict, persuade, or hypothesize.
- Outcome 4: Produce a variety of English sentence types with correct structure and word order and growing complexity.
- Outcome 5: Identify residual second-language and developmental errors in written work
- Outcome 6: Demonstrate correct use of English punctuation.
- Outcome 7: Identify a personal hierarchy of errors in targeted and previously learned grammar and demonstrate progress in monitoring for and correcting these problems
- Outcome 8: Systematically apply proofreading and editing skills and strategies to instructor-assigned and student-generated material in order to locate and correct errors in grammar, punctuation and word forms.
- Outcome 9: Evaluate writing constraints and reader expectations in different situations and formulate a successful strategy for proofreading/editing each type of written work.
- Outcome 10: Use an English dictionary