ESL 75 Intermediate Editing and Grammar Review (3)
Credit, Non-Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: Completion of ESL 130
with a grade of C or higher or placement in ESL 140
or ESL 150
ADVISE: Concurrent enrollment in ESL 140
Support for non-native speakers of English; intermediate grammar for mid-level texts and composition; editing/proofreading skills to improve quality and accuracy of written college work. Intended for non-native speakers of English taking ESL 140
or ESL 150
who require additional instructional instruction in intermediate grammar and writing skills.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate developing comprehension and production of noun phrases and clauses.
- Outcome 2: Identify a personal hierarchy of errors in targeted and previously learned grammar and demonstrate progress in monitoring for and correcting these problems.
- Outcome 3: Demonstrate developing comprehension and production of the English verb system in various forms of discourse.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate developing comprehension and production of conditional sentences to predict, persuade, or hypothesize.
- Outcome 5: Produce a variety of English sentence types with correct structure and word order.
- Outcome 6: Identify, with instructor assistance as needed, a variety of residual second-language and developmental errors in written work.
- Outcome 7: Demonstrate correct use English punctuation and capitalization rules.
- Outcome 8: Systematically apply proofreading and editing skills and strategies to prepared and student-generated material in order to locate and correct errors in grammar, punctuation and word forms.
- Outcome 9: Evaluate writing constraints and reader expectations in different situations and formulate a successful strategy for proofreading/editing each type of written work.