ENGN 45 Materials Science for Engineers (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
An introductory course in the fundamental science of materials used by engineers. Emphasis on structure and properties. Some processing and applications of materials is also covered. Finally, a strategy is developed for the selection and use of these materials in engineering design. UC, CSU transferable.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Classify and summarize the various categories of engineering materials, their material properties and levels of structure.
- Outcome 2: Relate the definition of a standard material property to the qualitative property that it measures.
- Outcome 3: Relate the methods of altering a material's microstructure by mechanical, thermal, or chemical means to the new or improved macroscopic property obtained.
- Outcome 4: Select a material for an elementary application and formulate a test procedure to measure the alteration of a material's macroscopic properties as an environmental variable is changed.
- Outcome 5: Relate the microscopic structure of a material to its macroscopic properties.