ENGL 35C Introduction to Writing Poetry (3)
Lec-52.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
In this beginning poetry writing course, students will read, listen to, and analyze poetry in order to apply basic poetic techniques to their work. Students will write poetry, both in and out of class, and will workshop with their peers in a supportive environment.
C-ID ENGL 200 (ENGL 35A + ENGL 35C)
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify basic poetic craft elements--imagery, metaphor, rhyme--in published work.
- Outcome 2: Compose poems containing, at a basic level, elements of craft.
- Outcome 3: Analyze how poetic form, content, and style function together.
- Outcome 4: Appraise works-in-progress, sharing basic-level critiques with peers in appropriate, constructive ways.
- Outcome 5: Compare, assess, and employ workshop feedback as part of the revision process.