EMTP 126 Neuroendocrine Emergencies (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: Acceptance into the Paramedic Program
Prehospital assessment and management of patients with altered mental status, seizures, strokes, diabetes, and other dysfunctions of the neuroendocrine systems.
Offered Spring semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Apply a systematic patient assessment to patients with altered mental status, seizures, diabetes and other neuroendocrine emergencies.
- Outcome 2: Analyze the elements of the comprehensive prehospital neurological examination.
- Outcome 3: Examine the pathophysiology and clinical findings associated with stroke, seizures, altered mental status, diabetic emergencies, thyroid dysfunction, and adrenal disorders.
- Outcome 4: Apply information from patient history, clinical findings, and foundational knowledge of pathophysiology to formulate a differential diagnosis for patients with an acute neurological emergency.
- Outcome 5: Perform basic and advanced life support management of critical and stable patients with neuroendocrine emergencies within the scope of practice of a paramedic in a clinical environment.