EMTP 124 Trauma Certification (1.5)
Credit, Degree Applicable
This course meets the requirements for trauma certification according to national, state and local standards.
Offered Fall semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe the current trends in prehospital trauma care and the scientific support that drives these trends.
- Outcome 2: Describe the history of trauma care and certification for EMS providers.
- Outcome 3: Identify strategies that EMS providers can implement that will reduce the risk of traumatic injuries.
- Outcome 4: Integrate principles of kinematics of trauma and pathophysiology into patient assessment
- Outcome 5: Describe appropriate steps to take to mitigate potential threats to safety.
- Outcome 6: Systematize the discrete steps involved in assessing and managing the trauma patient into an organized and rational process.
- Outcome 7: Assess the need for rapid transport and early definitive management in various forms of shock.
- Outcome 8: Demonstrate proper technique for basic and advanced airway and ventilatory management, extrication, spinal immobilization and circulatory management in a simulated patient scenario.
- Outcome 9: Determine the preferred method of treatment in a given trauma patient scenario for patients with head, neck and facial injuries and/or traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Outcome 10: Determine the preferred method of treatment in a given trauma patient scenario for patients with thoracic, abdominal, pelvic and extremity injuries.
- Outcome 11: Determine the preferred method of treatment in a given trauma patient scenario for patients with burn injuries.
- Outcome 12: Describe principles of EMS trauma care and assessment-based trauma management for adult, pediatric and geriatric patients.
- Outcome 13: Given a mass-casualty incident (MCI), integrate the use of a triage system into the management of the scene and make triage decisions based upon assessment findings.
- Outcome 14: Sit for the written trauma certification examination.