EMT 14 Advanced First Aid and Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (2)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Emergency care for one and two-rescuer adult, child, and infant CPR with mask ventilation and AED; life-threatening, medical, environmental, and traumatic emergencies such as bleeding, burns, musculoskeletal injuries; poisoning and emergency childbirth. Qualified participants are awarded American Heart Association Basic Life Support Healthcare Providers/AED and CCSF Advanced First Aid cards.
Satisfies requirements for public safety personnel as stated in Title 22, Division 9, California Code of Regulations. Students enrolled in this course will be assessed a $5 lab/material fee for CPR and First Aid cards. Formerly HLTH 14
Students enrolled in this course will be assessed a $5 lab/material fee for CPR and First Aid cards.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Define the roles, responsibilities, and legal considerations of the first aid rescuer within the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) system.
- Outcome 2: Describe and demonstrate how to conduct scene safety.
- Outcome 3: Identify the triage procedures at the scene of a disaster.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate the procedures used on how to perform lift and move techniques.
- Outcome 5: Identify and demonstrate standard precautions on how to prevent disease transmission.
- Outcome 6: Perform an accurate primary and secondary survey.
- Outcome 7: Demonstrate, step by step, the procedure for recognizing respiratory and cardiac arrest and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) using adult, child and infant manikins.
- Outcome 8: Demonstrate ability to use the resuscitation mask and other breathing devices.
- Outcome 9: Demonstrate ability to use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in the Chain of Survival (early access, early CPR, early defibrillation and early advanced care).
- Outcome 10: Research and apply knowledge and demonstrate manipulative skills on first aid care for traumatic, medical and environmental emergencies.
- Outcome 11: Incorporate knowledge of first aid care for emergency situations involving special populations such as the disabled, seniors and children.
- Outcome 12: Describe the care given to victims injured in water accidents.
- Outcome 13: Discuss and demonstrate, step by step, the procedure for preparation, delivery and post-delivery care for an emergency childbirth using manikins.