EMT 11A Pediatric CPR and First Aid (0.5)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Training for child care personnel in pediatric CPR & AED and first aid including the practice of universal precautions and early activation of the EMS system. Qualified participants are awarded the American Heart Association Adult/Child and Infant Heartsaver CPR and City College of San Francisco Pediatric First Aid cards. This course fulfills the partial requirement of the AB243 mandated Health and Safety Training established by the State EMS Authority for Childcare Providers.
Students enrolled in this course will be assessed a $5 lab/material fee for CPR and First Aid cards
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Define the roles, responsibilities, and legal considerations of the childcare first aid rescuer within the emergency medical service (EMS) system.
- Outcome 2: Describe the first aid action plan for a home or childcare setting.
- Outcome 3: Identify the most common fatal childhood injuries that can be prevented.
- Outcome 4: Discuss how to complete an injury report form and log.
- Outcome 5: Identify and demonstrate the universal precautions on how to prevent disease transmission.
- Outcome 6: Describe how to assemble a first aid kit.
- Outcome 7: Perform an accurate primary and secondary survey.
- Outcome 8: Demonstrate, step by step, the. procedure for recognizing life-threatening emergencies such as respiratory and cardiac arrest and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) using adult, child, and infant manikins.
- Outcome 9: Demonstrate the ability to use the resuscitation mask.
- Outcome 10: Demonstrate the ability to use an automated external defibrillator.
- Outcome 11: Identify, describe, and discuss the first aid care for medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, seizures,and poisonings.
- Outcome 12: Identify, describe, and demonstrate care for traumatic emergencies such as soft tissue injuries, burns, muscle and bone injuries, dental emergencies, nose, eye injuries, and irritants.
- Outcome 13: Identify, describe, and discuss the first aid care for environmental emergencies such as heat and cold related emergencies.