EMT 100 Emergency Medical Technician (8)
Lec-105, Lab-105, work-24
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ: Current AHA Healthcare Provider CPR card
ADVISE: Certified background check, immunization screening, drug screening, and enrollment in certified background system are required for all enrolled students before being placed on clinical rotations.
Designed to meet the requirements of the State and National Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Education Standards for the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) basic level provider. Students acquire the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective skills required to provide emergency care and transportation of the ill and injured. Includes required clinical experience on ambulance.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Apply knowledge of the human airway and respiratory system into an EMT level assessment of a patient's ventilation status, and apply the correct basic life support interventions.
- Outcome 2: Integrate knowledge of human body systems from birth to death into patient assessment within the scope of practice of an emergency medical technician.
- Outcome 3: Apply principles of pathophysiology during an EMT level assessment to implement appropriate management of patients with a variety of emergency medical and traumatic conditions during simulated patient scenarios.
- Outcome 4: Integrate knowledge of the physiology and pathophysiology of the cardiovascular system into effective resuscitation techniques consistent with American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) guidelines.
- Outcome 5: Analyze the roles and responsibilities of the EMT during simulations of routine and specialized EMS incidents.