DANC 122 Beginning Pointe Technique (1)
Credit, Degree Applicable
ADVISE: DANC 119C
or demonstration of exit skills
Theory and practice of basic pointe technique that include pre-pointe exercises, elementary pointe vocabulary, selection and fit of pointe shoes, and guidelines necessary to develop correct placement, muscular strength, and safe habits.
An assessment of ankle strength and alignment occurs at the start of the semester to determine whether students should use point shoes or soft shoes.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify parts of a pointe shoe
- Outcome 2: Select and fit a pointe shoe according to one's foot structure and technical skill.
- Outcome 3: Identify and perform pre-pointe exercises to develop muscular strength of the feet, ankles and lower legs.
- Outcome 4: Identify and perform elementary pointe vocabulary with correct body alignment, hip to toe placement, and correct balance points
- Outcome 5: Discuss a brief history of pointe.