CVT 201 Advanced Cardiovascular Technician (4)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Advanced complex cardiac rhythms including heart blocks, bundle branch blocks, and accessory pathways. Includes cardiac pharmacology pacemaker technology and stress echo indications: procedures and analysis. Observation and practice of ECG and stress testing in clinical locations.
Offered in alternate Spring semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Evaluate the etiologies and treatment of the following ECG abnormalities: heart blocks, bundle branch blocks, hemiblocks, axis deviation, and accessory pathways.
- Outcome 2: Describe the ECG patterns associated the above abnormalities
- Outcome 3: Compare and contrast types of medications used in the treatment of cardiac dysrhythmias and heart disease.
- Outcome 4: Describe the mechanism of action, precautions of cardiac medications.
- Outcome 5: Evaluate the types of pacemakers and implantable defibrillators in use and the nomenclature used to identify pacemakers.
- Outcome 6: Interpret the ECG patterns associated with each type of pacemaker.
- Outcome 7: Summarize the indications for stress echo.
- Outcome 8: Describe the protocols, setup, and procedures of stress echo.
- Outcome 9: Explain the acquisition process of the echo images.
- Outcome 10: Demonstrate the coordination of a treadmill stress test and stress echocardiogram procedure.
- Outcome 11: Demonstrate the methods to take an accurate blood pressure.
- Outcome 12: Summarize the indications for use of a pharamcologic stress test and the types of agents (dobutamine,adenosine, cardiolye) used.
- Outcome 13: Describe the steps in a pharmacologic stress echo test.
- Outcome 14: Explain the computer process of image analysis of stress echo.
- Outcome 15: Create a comprehensive wall motion analysis, ejection fraction and stroke volume of a stress echo.
- Outcome 16: Assess ECG, stress testing and Echocardiograms produced in clinical labs.
- Outcome 17: Describe methods of cardiology lab processing and computer storage.
- Outcome 18: Prepare patients for various cardiac tests and maintain patient and technician safety at all times.
- Outcome 19: Prepare an updated resume