CS 132A Ruby Programming (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
ADVISE: CS 110A
or 111A or 113A or 130A or 160B.
Ruby is interpreted, interactive, and object-oriented. Recommended for general-purpose programming, system administration, or web programming with the Ruby on Rails web framework. Write stand-alone programs that perform tasks including interfacing or system calls and libraries, processing text using regular expressions, and retrieving information from web sites.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe the main features of Ruby
- Outcome 2: Describe Ruby's built-in methods for manipulating strings, files, and hashes
- Outcome 3: Write object-oriented Ruby programs using classes and objects
- Outcome 4: Manipulate strings using regular expressions
- Outcome 5: Create useful stand-alone applications in Ruby
- Outcome 6: Install Ruby gems (third-party libraries) using the gem utility