CNIT 121 Computer Forensics (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Forensics tools, methods and procedures for investigating computers. Data recovery techniques and evidence collection, protection of evidence, expert witness skills and computer crime investigation techniques. Analysis of various file systems and specialized diagnostic software to retrieve data. Prepares in part for CompTIA Security+ and maps to Computer Investigation Specialists exam.
Examine computer media to discover evidence.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Define and describe computer forensics investigations.
- Outcome 2: Compare and contrast the various operating systems and file systems.
- Outcome 3: Evaluate and choose appropriate software, hardware, and tools to equip a Forensics Lab.
- Outcome 4: Retrieve and analyze data from a suspect's computer.
- Outcome 5: Create investigative reports and act as an expert witness.