CHIN 4A Continuation of Intermediate Chinese (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: CHIN 3
or 3B or demonstration of CHIN 3/3B exit skills.
Grammar, composition and reading. Practice in speaking and understanding Mandarin. Understanding of Chinese culture.
Offered on occasion
Requires an additional 1 hour.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Compose and translate written Chinese discourses that demonstrate an understanding of vocabulary, expressions, and grammar at an intermediate level, including constructing a coherent composition of about 350-400 characters with the aid of a dictionary.
- Outcome 2: Use intermediate-level listening strategies to engage effectively in daily activities in Chinese, such as interpreting new phrases from context and identifying implicit information of a speaker.
- Outcome 3: Sustain intermediate-level conversations in Chinese in everyday situations, including talking about possibility and feasibility, making comparison, and discussing vacation plans.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate analytical reading and comprehension skills of the Chinese language at the intermediate-level, such as summarizing main ideas.
- Outcome 5: Recognize cultural appropriateness of language choices and apply learned knowledge in culturally appropriate situations including the culture of saving face in China.