CHIN 39 Major Achievements of Chinese Thought and Culture (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
A consideration of the humanistic tradition of China and the major achievements of Chinese culture as reflected in language, literature, art, religion and daily life.
No knowledge of Chinese required. Not recommended for students who are enrolled in or who have completed CHIN 49.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Relate the geographic location and climate of China to important aspects of Chinese culture and civilization.
- Outcome 2: Identify important elements of Chinese culture and civilization through the thoughts/philosophy unique to Chinese culture.
- Outcome 3: Define and contrast the thoughts and contribution of major Chinese philosophers.
- Outcome 4: Comprehend the development of Chinese history and culture and their relationships to other countries in East Asia.
- Outcome 5: Identify important ancient Chinese inventions, important Chinese dynasties and their major cultural achievements.
- Outcome 6: Characterize Chinese Poetic tradition and distinguish the different forms/structures of classical Chinese poetry.
- Outcome 7: Make cross-cultural comparisons