CHIN 2B Continuation of Elementary Chinese (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Continuation of the study of grammar, composition, and reading. Practice in speaking and understanding Mandarin.
Offered Spring semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify the basic sounds and tones of Mandarin Chinese, and reproduce them accurately.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate understanding of the principles of character composition, stroke order, and radicals, and elements of each character.
- Outcome 3: Demonstrate understanding of a conversation or a story composed chiefly of vocabulary, grammar, and syntax studied.
- Outcome 4: Analyze and synthesize the principles of syntax introduced at this level, and apply these principles when creating new sentences for speaking and writing.
- Outcome 5: Demonstrate ability to carry on a simple conversation in Mandarin on topics studied using structurally correct sentences, including yes/no, who, when, where, what and how questions.
- Outcome 6: Recognize 600 characters and write a coherent composition of 250-300 characters on topics studied/discussed in class.
- Outcome 7: Compare and contrast aspects of Chinese speaking culture to that of American culture.
- Outcome 8: Compare and contrast simplified and traditional characters.