CHIN 2A Continuation of Elementary Chinese (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: CHIN 1
or 1B or demonstration of CHIN 1/1B exit skills.
Continuation of the study of grammar, composition, and reading. Practice in speaking and understanding Mandarin.
Requires an additional 1 hour.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify the basic sounds and tones of Mandarin Chinese, and reproduce them as accurately.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate understanding of the principles of character composition, stroke order, and radicals, and elements of each character.
- Outcome 3: Demonstrate understanding of a conversation or a story composed chiefly of vocabulary, grammar, and syntax studied.
- Outcome 4: Analyze and synthesize the principles ofsyntax introduced at this level, and apply these principles when creating new sentences for speaking and writing.
- Outcome 5: Demonstrate ability to carry on a simple conversation in Mandarin on topics studied using structurally correct sentences, including yes/no, who, when, where, what and how questions.
- Outcome 6: Recognize 450 characters and write a coherent composition of 150-200 characters on topics studied/discussed in class.
- Outcome 7: Compare and contrast aspects of Chinese speaking culture to that of American culture.
- Outcome 8: Compare and contrast simplified and traditional characters.