CHIN 1A Elementary Chinese (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Beginner's courses. (Especially recommended for students starting the study of Chinese for the first time.) Grammar, composition, and reading. Practice in speaking and understanding Mandarin.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify the basic sounds and tones of Mandarin, and reproduce them as accurately as possible
- Outcome 2: Understand the principles of character composition, stroke order, radical phonetic combination, and the comparison and contrast of simplified and traditional characters
- Outcome 3: Comprehend a conversation or a story composed chiefly of the vocabulary and grammar studied.
- Outcome 4: Analyze and synthesize the principles of syntax introduced at this level, and apply these principles when creating new sentences in both speaking and writing
- Outcome 5: Carry on a simple conversation in Mandarin on topics studied in structurally correct sentences, including yes/no, when and where questions
- Outcome 6: Recognize 140-150 characters and write a coherent paragraph of 60-80 characters on topics studied/discussed in class
- Outcome 7: Compare and contrast aspects of Chinese speaking cultures