CHIN 16 Chinese Characters for Beginners (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
An intensive study of 300 commonly used characters to enhance reading and writing Chinese.
A beginner’s course, taught in English. Recommended for all students with limited or no background in written characters. Recommended to be taken concurrently with CHIN 1
, CHIN 1A/1B, or CHIN 12 series, or CHIN 10 series.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Develop sufficient strategies to memorize characters.
- Outcome 2: Compare and contrast subtle differences among similar characters.
- Outcome 3: Identify the most common radicals, and components of the characters.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate ability to read signs and passages.
- Outcome 5: Interpret the meaning of 300 single characters and apply the knowledge to the meaning of compound characters.
- Outcome 6: Demonstrate ability to skim the Chinese written materials.
- Outcome 7: Interpret in English the content of the reading material.
- Outcome 8: Apply the learned vocabulary in writing sentences and short paragraphs for communication.