CHIN 14C Intermediate Conversational Mandarin for Chinese Speaking Students (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Continuation of extensive oral training in Mandarin. Emphasis on practical vocabulary, pronunciation and idiomatic usage. Designed for students who wish to continue acquiring skills of spoken Mandarin rather than formal grammar and literature.
Recommended for all students who can speak at least one Chinese dialect. Recommended for Chinese speaking students and for students who have some knowledge of Chinese. Not recommended for native speakers of Mandarin. May not be offered every semester.
Offered on occasion
Requires an additional hour.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate mastery of vocabulary and colloquial expressions introduced in this course and integrate them into their speech.
- Outcome 2: Reproduce all the Mandarin sounds with proper stress and intonation.
- Outcome 3: Process information learned in the course in a creative manner.
- Outcome 4: Use complex structures when interacting orally.
- Outcome 5: Demonstrate ability to carryon an extensive conversation or discussion in Mandarin on various topics related to materials studied in class using words and expressions in socially as well as linguistically proper context and using structurally correct sentences.