CHIN 14B Conversational Mandarin for Speakers of Other Chinese Dialects: Level 2 (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Continuation of oral training in Mandarin. Emphasis on practical vocabulary, pronunciation, and idiomatic usage. Designed for students who wish to acquire basic skills of spoken Mandarin rather than formal grammar and literature.
Recommended for all students who can speak at least one Chinese dialect. Recommended for Chinese speaking students and for students who have knowledge of Chinese. Not recommended for native speakers of Mandarin.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate mastery of vocabulary.
- Outcome 2: Identify the basic sentence structure introduced at this level.
- Outcome 3: Carry on a simple conversation in Mandarin on topics studied using words and expressions in socially as well as linguistically proper content in structurally correct sentences.
- Outcome 4: Perform in a conversational situation with a higher degree of fluency, accurate pronunciation and intonation.
- Outcome 5: Give a brief speech for 2-3 minutes on an assigned topic related to studied materials.