CHIN 14A Conversational Mandarin for Speakers of Other Chinese Dialects: Level 1 (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Beginner's course in Mandarin for students who speak another dialect of Chinese. Emphasis on practical vocabulary, pronunciation and idiomatic usage. Designed for students who wish to acquire basic skills of spoken Mandarin rather than formal grammar and literature.
Recommended for all beginning students of Mandarin who can speak at least one Chinese dialect and for students who have some knowledge of Chinese. Not recommended for native speakers of Mandarin.
Requires an additional 1 hour.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify the basic sounds and tones of Mandarin and reproduce them as accurately as possible.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate mastery of vocabulary in the lesson.
- Outcome 3: Identify the basic sentence structures introduced at this level.
- Outcome 4: Comprehend a conversation or a story composed chiefly of the vocabulary grammar and syntax studied.
- Outcome 5: Carryon a simple conversation in Mandarin on topics studied, using words and expressions in socially as well as linguistically proper content, in structurally correct sentences.
- Outcome 6: Demonstrate ability to perform in a conversational situation with some degree of fluency, accurate pronunciation and intonation, and in a culturally appropriate text.