CHIN 12C Intermediate Conversational Mandarin (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
ADVISE: CHIN 12B
or CHIN 1
or 1B Recommended for all students with limited background in Chinese. Not recommended for native speakers of Mandarin.
Third semester course. Continuation of extensive oral training in Mandarin. Emphasis on practical vocabulary, pronunciation and idiomatic usage. Designed for students who wish to acquire more advanced skills spoken Mandarin with a minimum of formal grammar rather than reading and writing in Chinese characters.
Offered on occasion
Requires an additional 1 hour.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Reproduce all of the Mandarin sounds with proper stress and tones.
- Outcome 2: Process the vocabulary, colloquial expressions, and sentence structures in the course in a creative manner.
- Outcome 3: Carryon a conversation in Mandarin on various topics related to materials studied in class, using words and expressions in socially as well as linguistically proper context and with structural correctness.
- Outcome 4: Use more complex sentence structures when interacting orally, and be able to narrate or describe, and provide information on an event.
- Outcome 5: Interact spontaneously with a fluent speaker on everyday topics, social icebreakers, or small talk.