CHIN 12B Continuation of Beginning Conversational Mandarin (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Second semester course. Continuation of Beginner's course in Mandarin. Extensive oral training in Mandarin. Emphasis on practical vocabulary, pronunciation and idiomatic usage. Designed for students who wish to acquire basic skills of spoken Mandarin rather than reading and writing in Chinese characters.
Not recommended for native speakers of Mandarin nor to speakers of other Chinese languages. These students should consider CHIN 14B
, Conversational Mandarin for Speakers of Other Chinese Dialects: Level II.
Offered Spring semesters
Requires an additional 1 hour.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify the sounds in Pinyin and tones of Mandarin, and reproduce them accurately.
- Outcome 2: Identify the grammatical structures introduced at this level, and apply them in oral communication.
- Outcome 3: Comprehend conversations or stories composed of the elements studied.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate the understanding of the language and culture by speaking and responding properly.
- Outcome 5: Compare the various aspects of Chinese speaking cultures.