CHIN 1 Elementary Chinese (5)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Beginner's course. Grammar, composition, and reading. Practice in speaking and understanding Mandarin.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify the basic sounds and tones of Mandarin, and reproduce them as accurately as possible
- Outcome 2: Understand the principles of character composition, stroke order, radical phonetic combination, and the comparison and contrast of simplified and traditional characters.
- Outcome 3: Comprehend a conversation or a story composed chiefly of the vocabulary and grammar studied.
- Outcome 4: Analyze and synthesize the principles of syntax introduced at this level, and apply these principles when creating new sentences in both speaking and writing
- Outcome 5: Carry on a simple conversation in Mandarin on topics studied in structurally correct sentences, including yes/no, when and where questions.
- Outcome 6: Recognize 300 characters and write a coherent paragraph of 80-100 characters on topics studied/discussed in class
- Outcome 7: Compare and contrast aspects of Chinese speaking cultures