CHEM 103A General Chemistry for Engineering (5)
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: CHEM 40
, 50, or an Advanced Placement test score of 3 or higher, or placement in CHEM 101A/103A by examination and advising; AND MATH 60
or placement in any math course higher than MATH 60
Thermochemistry, atomic structure, periodic properties, bonding, solid-state structures, fundamentals of organic chemistry, solution chemistry, thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids and bases, and electrochemistry.
Designed for students majoring in all engineering programs except chemical engineering.
Students who plan to enroll in CHEM 103A and who have not passed CHEM 40
or 50 at City College are required to take a placement exam in chemistry. Please contact the Placement Office (Conlan 203, (415) 239-3129).
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Communicate chemical concepts and experimental results using chemical formulas, names, symbols, and equations.
- Outcome 2: Apply a variety of problem-solving techniques to quantitatively analyze chemical systems.
- Outcome 3: Describe and depict properly the electron arrangements of atoms, the nature of chemical bonding, and the three-dimensional structures of ions, and molecules.
- Outcome 4: Perform experiments using common laboratory techniques and equipment in a safe manner to make quantitative observations about physical and chemical properties.
- Outcome 5: Critically analyze laboratory findings, discuss results in written form, and draw appropriate conclusions from the collected data.