CDEV 76 Supporting LGBT Families in Educational Settings (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Analysis of issues and challenges faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) families in educational settings and exploration of the role of educators and educational programs in creating inclusive environments.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Assess and analyze his or her own practices in relation to LGBT families in educational settings.
- Outcome 2: Create both formal and informal curriculum that includes LGBT families.
- Outcome 3: Define the role of the teacher and general educational practices in creating welcoming environments for families.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate understanding of the key challenges faced by LGBT families and strategies to meet them, including culturally inclusive strategies, anti-bias strategies and use of community resources.
- Outcome 5: Develop strategies to build partnerships among and between LGBT and straight families and staff in order to create inclusive environments for children and families.