CDEV 41U Dual Language Learning in Early Childhood (1)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Emphasis is on the acquisition of second languages in Dual Language and Bilingual Early Care and Education programs. Current cross-cultural research on language acquisition, best practices for language curriculum development and strategies for authentic assessment and home/school connections will be emphasized.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Understand common terms related to the education of linguistically and culturally diverse children and families.
- Outcome 2: Examine linguistic responsiveness to families in Early Childhood Education programs, referencing current cross-cultural research.
- Outcome 3: Inventory language practice in an early care and education setting.
- Outcome 4: Assess language development in a young child who is exposed to multiple languages at home and in an ECE program.
- Outcome 5: Apply dual-language best practices to existing curriculum in an ECE setting.