CDEV 114 Work Experience in Child Development (1-3)
Lec-52.5, Work- 60-225 hrs
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: CDEV 71
or 72 or 75 or 78 or 110
Repeat: CDEV 71, 72, 75, 78, 86, AND 114 COMBINED, maximum credit: 6 units
This course will provide on or off-campus experience in early childhood/child development, K-12 classroom, after-school or youth work settings. The focus will be on providing practical experience in the methods and principles of teaching in early childhood and school-age classrooms. Emphasis will be placed on the role of the teacher in the field experience setting.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Meet experience requirements as required for the Child Development Permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing or the pre-teacher classroom fieldwork credential admissions requirements by teacher credentialing programs in CA.
- Outcome 2: Identify research and discuss child development theory and practice as related to placement sites.
- Outcome 3: Observe child development theory in practical application.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate self-assessment skills and the ability to inventory skills.
- Outcome 5: Use ethical and professional behavior in the work setting.
- Outcome 6: Discuss, compare, and contrast work experience placement and role of child care and education in the community.
- Outcome 7: Assess suitability of child development and education for career options.
- Outcome 8: Summarize and evaluate the benefits of the work experience placement and explain how it broadened his or her knowledge of the workplace.