CDEV 108A Practical Mathematics I (4)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Concepts, techniques and applications of arithmetic and elementary algebra emphasizing applications to practical problems. Interactive and traditional problem solving methods. Class interactive group exercises applying mathematical techniques to various applications and real world problems.
CDEV 108A=ET108A=BTEC 108A
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Calculate via 3 different methods (pencil and paper, calculator, and estimation) simple to relatively complex arithmetic expressions.
- Outcome 2: Relate fractions to their decimal equivalents, and vice versa.
- Outcome 3: Relate decimals to percentages, and vice versa.
- Outcome 4: Calculate expressions involving exponents and roots.
- Outcome 5: Assess whether an answer to a calculation makes sense for the particular problem.
- Outcome 6: Appraise the results of computations when one or more of the numbers are approximate.
- Outcome 7: Measure linear dimensions using fractional inch rulers and metric rulers.
- Outcome 8: Measure time, weight and volume quantities using appropriate equipment.
- Outcome 9: Evaluate the accuracy of the measurements in terms of the accuracy of the instruments used.
- Outcome 10: Analyze the effect of measurement errors and uncertainties in calculations using measured numbers.
- Outcome 11: Formulate methods to simplify algebraic expressions.
- Outcome 12: Solve an algebraic equation
- Outcome 13: Analyze a word problem from real-world situations and formulate an algebraic equation or a system of equations that lead to the solution.
- Outcome 14: Evaluate the validity of the numerical result of solutions of systems of equations.
- Outcome 15: Create graphs of simple algebraic equations using rectangular coordinates.
- Outcome 16: Create graphs from empirical data.
- Outcome 17: Deduce the algebraic equation of a line graphed from empirical data.
- Outcome 18: Compare and contrast graphical versus analytical methods of solution.