CDEV 100 Violence and Its Impact on Children and Their Families (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
An Exploration of violence and its impact on the physical and psychological well-being of children, families, early childhood teachers and others. Emphasis is on early relationships and how they affect a child's worldview, plus practitioner self-care and multi-cultural awareness.
Offered Fall semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Explain the theory of attachment and the crucial role it plays in a child's physical, cognitive, and social-emotional development.
- Outcome 2: Define temperament and discuss how it relates to experiences in a child's life.
- Outcome 3: Describe the effects of trauma in the lives of children as well as gain an understanding of what triggers trauma in children.
- Outcome 4: Describe the effects of violence and trauma on the brain and how they affect behavior.
- Outcome 5: Describe how family dynamics and family composition affect a child's development and his/her needs in an early childhood program.
- Outcome 6: Explain resilience and factors that support children in the development of resiliency.
- Outcome 7: Explain the importance of caregiver's self-awareness in the helping process in early childhood programs by understanding the concept of vicarious trauma and tools to support the work with children.
- Outcome 8: Discuss multi-cultural awareness and differing cultural perspectives on violence that influences children and families in early childhood programs.
- Outcome 9: Apply knowledge of violence-intervention techniques and their developmentally appropriate use in early childhood programs.
- Outcome 10: Recognize signs of violence affecting children's behavior and methods for dealing with difficult behavior.
- Outcome 11: Compare and contrast developmentally appropriate violence prevention strategies and their application in early childhood programs.
- Outcome 12: Define what children need from caregivers and family in a helping relationship.
- Outcome 13: Evaluate available violence prevention and intervention community resources for young children.