CAHS 245 Introduction to Food Preparation for Home Cooks (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Introduction to hands-on food preparation techniques with emphasis on function and interaction of ingredients. Course also includes nutrition meal planning, cost effective seasonal food selection, purchasing, storage, preservation concepts, safety, sanitation, elementary nutrition and standards for sensory evaluation.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Classify major food categories and summarize nutrition basics.
- Outcome 2: Summarize and apply basic principles of food preparation using appropriate terminology and techniques.
- Outcome 3: Identify and compare purchasing, storage and preparation methods and options.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate the ability to plan a menu and follow a standardized recipe by correctly applying knowledge of weights, measures and conversions.
- Outcome 5: Evaluate food prepared in laboratory using qualitative and quantitative sensory evaluation standards.
- Outcome 6: Practice proper food safety and sanitation.