CAHS 10Q Culinary Fundamentals I (10.5)
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: Admission to the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Program as a degree-candidate student; ESL 150
or ENGL 92 or placement in ESL 160
or ENGL 93
Fundamentals of commercial food preparation for the hospitality industry. Skills for handling professional kitchen tolls and equipment through practical application. Preparation of various hot and cold savory dishes and various baked goods. Practice of food sanitation, safety techniques, kitchen mathematics and terminology, organizational skills, and introduction to customer service.
All sections will charge a material fee of $75.00
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Apply principles of food sanitation and personal hygiene in the kitchen.
- Outcome 2: Safely and properly use and care for professional kitchen tools and equipment.
- Outcome 3: Work within time constraints.
- Outcome 4: Correctly employ kitchen terminology and equipment vocabulary.
- Outcome 5: Create dinner entrees, starches, vegetables, sauces, sandwiches, pasta dishes, cookies, pies, basic yeast dough, quick breads, cakes, tarts, and basic French pastries.
- Outcome 6: Evaluate finished food products.
- Outcome 7: Demonstrate proficiency in various areas of savory cooking, baking and pastry production.
- Outcome 8: Exercise consistent portion control skills.
- Outcome 9: Convert recipe formulas to greater or lesser amounts.
- Outcome 10: Calculate and analyze food-cost
- Outcome 11: Provide good customer relations and food service.