CAHS 10 Culinary Fundamentals I (11.5)
Credit, Degree Applicable
Fundamentals of commercial food preparation for hotels, restaurants and bakeries. Skills for handling of professional kitchen equipment, tools and machinery through practical application. Preparation of breakfast, salads, sandwiches, artisan breads, breakfast pastries, cookies, plated desserts, cakes pies and tarts. Practice of sanitation and safety techniques; kitchen terminology; mathematics related to recipe conversions and measurements; organizational skills, accuracy and speed.
All sections will charge a material fee of $75.00
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe and practice proper food safety, sanitation, and personal hygiene.
- Outcome 2: Identify professional tools, equipment, and materials; demonstrate their safe and proper use.
- Outcome 3: Define and describe various kitchen processes and terminology.
- Outcome 4: Demonstrate basic competency in various areas of savory cooking, baking and pastry production.
- Outcome 5: Describe and practice basic math for hospitality operations.