BTEC 23 Western Blotting Techniques (1)
Lec-16, Lab-8, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
Underlying principles of immunoassay with focus on Western blots. Applications of Western blotting techniques used in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and clinical laboratory settings will be discussed. Laboratory exercises feature hands-on exercises emphasizing all aspects of Western blotting including running protein gels, blotting, immunodetection and data analysis.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe the biological and theoretical principles of Western blotting technique using industry-standard terminology.
- Outcome 2: Implement and carry out standard Western blotting procedures.
- Outcome 3: Record, organize, analyze, and discuss Western blot procedures and data in industry-standard laboratory notebooks.
- Outcome 4: Describe applications of the Western blotting technique in basic science, pharmaceutical, clinical, and industry laboratories.
- Outcome 5: Explain basics of monoclonal and polyclonal antibody structure, mechanism of function and usage as it relates to Western blots.