BTEC 22 Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) (1)
Lec-17.5, Lab-10.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
Underlying principles of immunoassay with focus on ELISA. Examples of ELISA techniques used in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and clinical laboratory settings will be discussed. Laboratory exercises and discussions cover qualitative and quantitative data analysis and direct, indirect, sandwich, and competitive ELISA methods.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe applications of the ELISA technique in basic science, pharmaceutical, clinical, and industry laboratories.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate a basic understanding of standard methods used to develop polyclonal and monoclonal antibodies used in ELISA.
- Outcome 3: Implement and carry out standard ELISA procedures.
- Outcome 4: Record, organize, analyze, and discuss ELISA data in industry-standard laboratory notebooks.
- Outcome 5: Describe the key principles of ELISA using industry-standard terminology.