BTEC 21B Fluorescent Cell Technology (2)
Lec-36, Lab-18, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: BTEC 21 or 21A
Introduction to advanced techniques in the study of normal and mutant tissue culture cells including organelle visualization with various fluorophores, transfection with fluorescent markers, and immunostaining. In depth coverage of the theory behind and use of fluorescent microscopy and current research methods using fluorescent technology, including apoptosis assays and immunohistochemistry, DNA microarrays and FACS analysis.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe different types and applications of fluorophores used in cell biology research.
- Outcome 2: Demonstrate proper use and care of a fluorescent microscope.
- Outcome 3: Perform organelle staining with various fluorophores.
- Outcome 4: Perform transfections using fluorescent markers.
- Outcome 5: Analyze transfected cells using fluorescent microscopy.
- Outcome 6: Perform immunostaining and apoptosis assays.
- Outcome 7: Discuss current applications of fluorescent technology DNA microarrays, confocal microscopy and FACS analysis.